Load program from CF Card - CompactLogix

smohamed

Morning all,

I'm looking to install a CompactFlash card on our CompactLogix PLC (1769-L32E). I am going to use the AB CF cards as I've read that there are some issues using a 3rd party one.

I want the ability for the CF card to load the latest program I store on the card if there is an error in memory (corrupt). However, when I download the manual from AB's website the figures that show where to navigate come out gray.

I am also a bit confused when it comes to the firmware aspect. I thought it was just as easy to store the .ACD file on the card and put it in? From reading the manual it does not seem that straight forward.

Can anyone provide any tips?

Thanks.

It's not as easy as just putting the ACD on the flash card. You need to be online with the PLC (while it is in program mode) and check the controller properties. Look for the Nonvolatile Memory tab. You should see a Load/Store button, as long as you are in Program Mode, you should be able to select it. You must store it with the option to load on corrupt memory.

It's not as easy as just putting the ACD on the flash card. You need to be online with the PLC (while it is in program mode) and check the controller properties. Look for the Nonvolatile Memory tab. You should see a Load/Store button, as long as you are in Program Mode, you should be able to select it. You must store it with the option to load on corrupt memory.

So my first steps would be to:
1. Format the card (if it does not come formatted)
2. Load the .ACD File onto the card
3. Go on-line with the controller and select to "load on corrupt memory"

Does that work? I ask this because if I am going to put it in program modem I am obviously interrupting the process at the plant so I need to schedule a time to go and do this.

My fault so I found an additional manual (1756-PM017) which basically outlines what you were suggesting dmroeder in terms of storing.

The manual depicts it that I can just put the CF card into the controller and select "Load" and this will take care of all the nuts and bolts of it correct? Of course selecting what mode I would like the controller to return to, etc.

Is there a need to format the CF card if is coming from AB?

The ACD does not need to be on the card (although it can be for convenience for a service person or plant personnel). The ACD has nothing to do with storing to the flash card. It stores the contents of the PLC memory, not the comments and such.

1.Insert card into controller
2.Get online
3.Put into program mode (this will stop the processor so make sure it is okay to do so)
4.Go to controller properties
5.Navigate to Nonvolatile memory tab
6.Click Load/Store
7.Verify settings on right half of tab are correct (I believe default will work for what you are after)
8.Click store - can take a couple of minutes.

Do not remove the card while it is being accessed. If you remove the card when it is done and look at the contents, it will look nothing like a PLC program, there will be a logix folder with some unrecognizable files in it.

"Load" will restore the program from the flash card to the controller. You do not want to do this, you want to select "Store". Although if there has never been anything stored on the flash card, you will not have the option to Load.

So my first steps would be to:
1. Format the card (if it does not come formatted)
2. Load the .ACD File onto the card
3. Go on-line with the controller and select to "load on corrupt memory"

Does that work? I ask this because if I am going to put it in program modem I am obviously interrupting the process at the plant so I need to schedule a time to go and do this.

"Load" will restore the program from the flash card to the controller. You do not want to do this, you want to select "Store". Although if there has never been anything stored on the flash card, you will not have the option to Load.

Ah yes correct. Store is what I want not Load, I had it written incorrectly. I really do appreciate your help with this. Do you know if the card needs to be formatted or will the controller do this the first time it is accessed?

Thanks again.

You don't have one to try it out on before going live on the production one do you?

You'll be fine. Just upload and save the program before you do it, that way you know you have the latest at hand in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm hoping the card comes in before I need to go so I can test on the bench here with a spare CompactLogix I have.

Just for your information, smohamed, RA will obviously provide support for the cards they sell, but will not support cards from other, 3rd-party, manufacturers.

If you ever need to go to a larger capacity (for exanple to enable Controller Logging), or you just want a cheaper alternative, be aware that not all CF cards are the same, and only some will work in the Logix5000 system.

Most of the larger capacity CF cards are MLC (multi-level cell), and these do not work. You need to get hold of SLC (single-level cell) cards, also often tagged as "Industrial".

Yeah, we went down the path of using 3rd party cards. Most worked for us, but enough didn't that we just went back to the AB ones. We had a run of 64MB sandisk ones (about a dozen) that wouldn't work and we finally said forget it.

All, an update on this. We did order AB cards and I was able to install them successfully.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I was using a 512MB SanDisk CF card on a 1769-L32E FW v20 and everytime I would try to "store" I would get a major fault of "store to non volatile memory failed" and a minor fault of "I/O overlap". So I began a sequence of reformatting the CF and changing the firmware on the PLC. In windows 7 pro, if I right-click CF, format, then choose the FAT(default) for file system, and 16kb for allocation unit size, check the quick format box.....it works! However it only works with certain PLC firmware versions. v15 and v16 work. v17 and v20 do NOT work and I imagine the versions in between don't work either.