DH+ to Ethernet using ControlLogix Bridge

JussyJay

Background-

We are currently working on a site that is being developed and upgraded and all working so far apart from we are trying to comms a compactlogix PLC to a DH+ network.

We currently have a ControlLogix Plc with a 1756-enet card in slot 0 and a 1756-dhrio in slot 1 to use as a bridge to connect to the CompactLogix PLC on the Ethernet.

Problem -

On RSLinx (only on DH+) we can see the ControlLogix backplate, card 0 & 1 but can't see the Compactlogix to connect to it!! we have set a Link for each card in the routing section but still can't see the CompactLogix PLC.

Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in advanced :)

So you're going from a computer on the DH+ network, through the 1756 backplane, and out onto the Ethernet network ?

That sort of path requires you to tell RSLinx the IP addresses of the devices on the remote Ethernet network.

Browse past the 1756-ENET to the icon for the Ethernet network, then right-click and select Properties.

This will bring up a table of IP addresses that RSLinx can browse. Add the CompactLogix IP address and you should be in business.

So you're going from a computer on the DH+ network, through the 1756 backplane, and out onto the Ethernet network ?

That sort of path requires you to tell RSLinx the IP addresses of the devices on the remote Ethernet network.

Browse past the 1756-ENET to the icon for the Ethernet network, then right-click and select Properties.

This will bring up a table of IP addresses that RSLinx can browse. Add the CompactLogix IP address and you should be in business.

Yes thats right the PC is on the DH+ then going to the Control Logix DH+ in Slot 1 we then want to bridge that to the Ethernet Card in Slot 0 to comms with a CompactLogix.

when i click properties there is no where to enter an IP address!!! Wonder if the EDS file is wrong??

Don't right-click on the 1756-ENET itself; that's "Device Properties".

Browse past the 1756-ENET to an icon labeled "A, Ethernet" and right-click on that, and select "Properties". There will be a tab for "Browse Addresses" and another for "Advanced Browse Settings". Use the Add New button to add the IP address for your CompactLogix.

Don't right-click on the 1756-ENET itself; that's "Device Properties".

Browse past the 1756-ENET to an icon labeled "A, Ethernet" and right-click on that, and select "Properties". There will be a tab for "Browse Addresses" and another for "Advanced Browse Settings". Use the Add New button to add the IP address for your CompactLogix.

there is no "a, Ethernet" there is only the 1756-ENET, i can't expand it beyond that. the only thing i can expand is the DH+ Channels to set up links?

Will have another go tommorrow when i'm not as tired lol

That might be an EDS issue; the EDS tells RSLinx Classic that the device is a bridge and has a network beyond it.

EDS files are downloaded from the RA server (the 1756-ENET is old enough there is no embedded EDS) and registered using the RSLinx Hardware Registration Tool.

I'm surprised that your rev of RSLinx Classic doesn't have an EDS for this module, though; the original module was released about fifteen years ago, so it's generally well supported in the population.

A 1756-ENET will also not show the + and network if it's the one you navigated to the chassis on: be sure you're really connected over DH+.

I'm not totally certain about this; it's been a long while since I only had a DH+ station to enter the network with.

That might be an EDS issue; the EDS tells RSLinx Classic that the device is a bridge and has a network beyond it.

EDS files are downloaded from the RA server (the 1756-ENET is old enough there is no embedded EDS) and registered using the RSLinx Hardware Registration Tool.

I'm surprised that your rev of RSLinx Classic doesn't have an EDS for this module, though; the original module was released about fifteen years ago, so it's generally well supported in the population.

A 1756-ENET will also not show the + and network if it's the one you navigated to the chassis on: be sure you're really connected over DH+.

I'm not totally certain about this; it's been a long while since I only had a DH+ station to enter the network with.

thanks for the help, will try again in about 8 hrs :)