Siemens to Allen Bradley

sweetjohnny

I currently have a system running siemens simatic s7 processor, and a Siemens 6AV6 643-0CD01-1AX1 screen. I work in a facility with over 150 allen bradley PLC's ranging from PLC 5's to 5000's and Compactlogix and contrologix, and this is the only Siemens processor and screen. question is can i A) transfer and run a panelview plus in place of this siemens screen, while still running the Siemens processor? B) Can i replace the processor and the Screen both with Allen bradley?

Code won't be directly interchangeable so no matter which route you choose there will have to be some translation. If you're lucky, the I/O is fieldbus so it can be saved if the CPU is changed.

But if the machine is running fine, do you really want to fix something that isn't broken?

Exactly what Siemens S7 'processor' ?

I think that Panelview Plus has a socalled Kepware Driver Suite, and there should be a Siemens S7 driver as well. If possible go for ethernet TCP/IP.
No experience with it though.

Can i replace the processor and the Screen both with Allen bradley?
You cannot stick an AB CPU in an S7 PLC rack, but I guess that is not what you meant.
You can totally replace the S7 PLC and HMI with an AB PLC and HMI.
Just a question of time, money and determination.

edit // Is this a machine that you service yourself ? Or do the original manufacturer come to support and/or service the machine ?

I even try to understand but i just can't...Do you dislike Siemens to the point of spending thousands of $ just to change the last one in your plant? How are you involved with this plc ? Do you have to change the code often or having problem to connect it to any scada system ? Did you had to change parts in it ?
If you say no to all that, think twice...
If you said it is an S5 or something very old that no other parts is availaible, i would understand...
I would love to work in a place where we have that much money to rebuild machine just to have the brand we like in it!
For the question: Everything is possible but you would need to have siemens software to print the code and re-write it mannually into an AB plc. For the hmi, you will have to understand the Siemens soft to recreate it in the AB panelview also.
you would better invest that 5000$ money in a Siemens training to enjoy it instead of scrapping it.
By the way, it works very similar to AB also. The main difference is the color :)

Hello All

I use to switch Siemens with AB where I can do so.AB is more easy to maintain.
In your case if the HMI run with Ethernet I would change the CPU first and run the machine with old HMI. Siemens HMI can fit with AB CLX platform.Then change the HMI.
When You Do such thing make sure you have all the info about the software.
Build a way to return to old PLC in case of problems.
I doing similar thing now.I replace S5 with AB CLX I rewire all Siemens cards with Phoenix connectors so I can switch PLCs in minutes.The reason for that I have few hours in a week to test my code so I have to be in safe side.
In that plant All machine have AB systems so no one except me can not serve them.I am far away to be Siemens expert.
Rockwell have tool to convert the software but its not free tool.You have to send them the code and get price for that.I found it more easy to type the code by my self.