Difference of PLC with motion control and PLC without motion control

Usually motion control is that you have eg. cards in the PLC that can control stepmotors/FVC/drives directly. You only need to give the commands to the cards and they do the job. (control-feedback-errors and so on).

Hello !
It depends on what kind of PLC you have!
Usually the cards have an input for the encoder/s absolut or incremental then the card need some kind of outputs analog or/and digital, stepmotor outputs, fieldbus etc.
You must first know how makes the PLC and then you look at the manufacturer manuals.

Have you tried this?

nif said:

If so, how well did it work?

tanwillie said:

What is the difference of PLC with motion control and without it? Is there anyone can give a explanation?

Motion control cards off load the PLC and perform much better than soft motion control using software blocks or ladder. I can go on for pages on the differences. I would not consider a soft motion controller except for the simplest of applications with lots of PLC power to spare.

What happens to the control when the PLC stops scanning or get busy during a program update?