AB 5/04 DH+ pass-threw? for a panelview with RIO

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a customer looking for help but I dont have the parts (I thought I did) I was going to see if they could use a 1784-U2DHP and plug into the 5/04 and drill down to see the panelview on a RIO using a 1747-SN, they have no means to connect to the PV, they have PanelBuilder 32 on a PC but no PCMCIA for the DH/RIO

They have a 5/04 and connected to a PanelView (2711-T9A1 RIO only) with a scanner 1747-SN via RIO, I think he also has another rack on the SN card...

I know they could see any DH+ node but could they see the active nodes on the RIO? and could they upload/download to the PV ?

Thanks for any input

I have done pass-through from DH+ to a Panelview on RIO.
But that was with a PLC5.
I think that pass-through is limited to the integrated interfaces. For ex. on an SLC5/3 from DF1 to DH485 and on an SLC5/04 from DF1 to DH+.

Does the Panelview have a serial port for loading the program ?

edit: And a Panelview on RIO in 2017 ! Maybe it is time to bite the bullet ?

The PanelBuilder32 upload/download utility can use RSLinx Classic to upload and download to a PanelView Standard terminal in the system you describe, using DH+ to connect to an SLC-5/04 equipped with a 1747-SN.

There are a large handful of dependencies; correct/modern versions of RSLinx and PanelBuilder32 and the SLC-5/04 operating system and the 1747-SN (Series B) and its configuration. It would take me a while to look them all up. It was never an easy or fast method.

And there won't be a "drill down" view in RSLinx Classic; instead you select the SLC-5/04 CPU and the Slot number of the 1747-SN and the Rack address of the PanelView terminal. It's a very specific setup when doing the download.

This method would be the approach of last resort for me. The RIO-equipped PanelView terminals (2711_x6xx) should all have an RS-232 port for upload/download.

A terminal with version 4 or later firmware will also support ATA flash cards, including CompactFlash in a Type II carrier, with a card (generally under 2 GB) formatted for FAT16.

If I remember correctly you also needed Block Transfers setup specifically for pass-thru or there were predefined BT's that you had to enable? It's been a long time since I've done the likes of it but it was never straight forward, that's for sure.

I'd agree with trying to go in through the RS232 port if possible.

G.

Last edited:
I found this after...

18066 - Remote I/O pass-thru error codes when downloading via RSLinx Data Highway Plus
Access Level: TechConnect

Also this...

18074 - Errors 2261 and 2524 Received when doing a Remote I/O Pass-thru Download to PanelView

Lots of specifics in those.

And this one has a document attached on the setup...

29917 - Data Highway Plus to Remote I/O Pass-thru to Standard PanelView via SLC5/04

They are more intended to further deter you/them, but if needs must.

Regards,
George

Thank you all very much for the replys and I will pass the information on

Welcome back George, good to see your still around 🍺