Flex IO Analog Output Card:

JoelAspinall

Hi All:

I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction as to how to setup a Flex IO AO Card in RSLogix500.

As it stands I have a couple Flex IO AI cards setup and working already but I have no previous flex AO cards to work off of as an example.

Attached is a screenshot of the logic involved to get the AI Cards. Column 1 of the screenshot is one AI card and Column 2 is another.

I was wondering if the logic for an AO card would look similiar to this? If anyone has any experience with Flex IO with SLC500 and could offer any advice it would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you very much.

FlexNode_CompareAI.jpg

Can't see the image...resolution is too small when blowing it up. But, in general, the operations would be the same...They both have Read/Writes for data and configuration files. However, the AI, reads data and status, and only writes configuration. The AO, reads only status, and writes configuration and data. Therefore, sometimes, an AI only writes the configuration once (like first scan), and reads all the time. The AO would need to write the configuration/data all the time to update the analog outputs. Each AI and AO module has a unique word order for the status/data, and a unique number of words that need to be read/written. That will differ between the AI and AO so you will need to refer to the analog output module's documentation.

Can't see the image...resolution is too small when blowing it up. But, in general, the operations would be the same...They both have Read/Writes for data and configuration files. However, the AI, reads data and status, and only writes configuration. The AO, reads only status, and writes configuration and data. Therefore, sometimes, an AI only writes the configuration once (like first scan), and reads all the time. The AO would need to write the configuration/data all the time to update the analog outputs. Each AI and AO module has a unique word order for the status/data, and a unique number of words that need to be read/written. That will differ between the AI and AO so you will need to refer to the analog output module's documentation.

Thank you very much for the reply Robert.

Please see the attached (direct image link - http://i.imgur.com/aUlfn6d.png):
Column A: Flex AI Card
Column B: Flex Counter Card
Column C: Flex AI Card

All have the same pattern. What would I have to change here to incorporate an AO card?

aUlfn6d.png

Last edited:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um002_-en-p.pdf

Start here....It gives BTR/BTW examples for PLC5 which are similar to what your COPY's to the M0 and M1 files are for SLC. It shows you the length and breaks out the configuration and status for each module type. Compare the data tables in your current AI and map them to what each mean from the manual. Then you'll get a feel for what the AI is doing and you can apply it to an AO. There's simply too many variables (scaling, type of signal, filters, etc.) for any of us to write the code for you, as you will have to fill in the data tables that's appropriate to your process.