Will my version of RSLinx suffice?

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings from Michigan,

I want to create an HMI in LabVIEW. From my internet searches, it appears that this is feasible but I require a particular version of RSLinx in order to make it happen?

Here is a quote from 2010 that I found on the NI forums:

"Just be aware that with RSLinx, you need to buy at least the Classic version. The free version does not support OPC, it is just used to communicate wth the AB software. Once you create an OPC topic in Linx and point it at your PLC, you will be able to see the PLC registers using the DataSocket Browse VI."

The version of RSLinx that I have on my development laptop is RSLinx Classic Lite, v 3.81.00. Will this version work when installed on the deployment PC (PC that the LabView program will be deployed to)??

Thanks,
D

If it is using DDE/OPC to communicate, then no. Lite versions only support PLC program connections from Logix to the PLC.

If it is using DDE/OPC to communicate, then no. Lite versions only support PLC program connections from Logix to the PLC.

Ok, thanks. That helps. Yes, I plan to use OPC. Do you happen to know what the minimum version of Linx I would need?

Thanks,
D

If your Labview HMI will use OPC, you will need an OPC Server to communicate with the PLC. There are two Rockwell product families that will do this: RS-Linx Classic and FactoryTalk Gateway.
There are variants of RSL-Classic: Lite, OEM, Professional, others? Lite is free and will not be an OPC server. You must pay for OEM (server and client on the same machine), or Professional for a more distributed approach. RSL-Classic works with PLC-5, SLC, CLX, etc.
Factorytalk Gateway is also an OPC server, and uses RS-Linx Enterprise (free) for communication to the processors. In my experience FT-Gateway is less expensive, though licensed by tag count. It has a front end when running as a service, which can be problematic with RSL-Classic.
There are third party products out there that others may comment on.