Controllogix contoller Goes in Fault Mode

ramrap.r

High,

We are using Controllogix 5555 controller, every time after power failure controller goes in Fault mode.

Each time we have to clear the fault going through Rs-logix 5000.

Why it is happening? & Is their any way to clear fault automatically?

Appriciate you reply.

Need to tell us exact error (code and text), because it may be few defferent reasons.
Most common is power up routine defined in controller properties, but does not exeist or not properly configured.

Why not just purchase an inexpensive UPS to prevent this fault and protect the several thousand dollar investment?

eld101 said:
Why not just purchase an inexpensive UPS to prevent this fault and protect the several thousand dollar investment?

Because, that is NOT correcting the problem. And there are times that power must be removed. Merely slapping some fishing line and duct tape on problems is never the proper solution.

And Contr_conn is probably on the right track, if you assign a fault routine, it will fail on the powerup prescan, but that fault can be cleared, and the processor will go into normal run (until a fault, or the next power loss)

rdrast said:
Because, that is NOT correcting the problem. And there are times that power must be removed. Merely slapping some fishing line and duct tape on problems is never the proper solution.

And Contr_conn is probably on the right track, if you assign a fault routine, it will fail on the powerup prescan, but that fault can be cleared, and the processor will go into normal run (until a fault, or the next power loss)

Its not a complete solution, but something I found that is worth while on expensive devices like a controllogix. Just this thurdsay we had a power outage (actually 3 of them). All of the PLCs on a UPS were OK where as many those without required reboots, new program downloads and in come cases, new I/O cards.

As you mentioned, this could be considered a bandaid, but still a small price to pay to ensure a several thousand dollar PLC is not damaged.

We have even started looking into feroresonant transformers to protect entire cabinets with tempormental equipment such as our ultrasonic welders and such.

I know our allen bradey version of the APC UPS even gives relay inputs to the PLC so it knows when it is on batter power.

UPS is a good solution only to keep PLC running while power is out.
UPS will not run your process anyway.

I consider UPS as a bandaid - real problem must be addresses, bacause Logx controller if correctly configured should go back to the Run mode when power is applied.

Thanks

Thanks you all for reply.

Actually I have Online UPS for Backup, but actual problems come when We have Holidays That time We have to Take Shutdown as We are not sure Power to UPS will Continue or not.

Now, regarding the error As it is just showing Faulted in RSlogix section by just cliking it goes to to run Mode.

Pl. let me know the reason for the same .

eld101 said:
Its not a complete solution, but something I found that is worth while on expensive devices like a controllogix. Just this thurdsay we had a power outage (actually 3 of them). All of the PLCs on a UPS were OK where as many those without required reboots, new program downloads and in come cases, new I/O cards.

As you mentioned, this could be considered a bandaid, but still a small price to pay to ensure a several thousand dollar PLC is not damaged.

We have even started looking into feroresonant transformers to protect entire cabinets with tempormental equipment such as our ultrasonic welders and such.

I know our allen bradey version of the APC UPS even gives relay inputs to the PLC so it knows when it is on batter power.

wow, another arrow for my bow, in recommending Siemens against AB :cool:

With the Controllogix faulted goto Edit, Conroller Properties. Then select the Major Fault tab. Write down everything you see or better yet do a screen capture

Do you have a power up routine? This is what it sound like. Please be specific.

PeterW said:
wow, another arrow for my bow, in recommending Siemens against AB :cool:

Maybe :) But I've got a couple of Siemen PLCs commmisioned at a Siemens manufacturing plant (VDO) that have misbehaved once in a blue moon and they (Siemens) have been unable to account for why. No reported errors that are conclusive, just a suspension about the firmware but unable to fix it and they just live with it.

wow, another arrow for my bow, in recommending Siemens against AB

Another tosser with zero credibility. On the basis of this reported instance completely lacking useful details about the actual cause of the power outages, the actual sequence of events or information about a whole host of factors that may have caused these issues, you leap to a totally unsupported generalised conclusion about AB PLC's. And despite it being such a patently daft thing to say, you didn't have the self-restraint to think about how ill-informed it was going to make you look before posting it.

Or are you telling us that there has NEVER been an instance of any Seimens PLC hardware EVER failing for any reason whatsoever...anywhere in the world, anytime over the last 30 years? Are you telling us that Seimens PLCs are SO reliable that they NEVER fail?

Now just to satisfy my curiosity I have just gone off to one of my CLX systems ( a reasonably large one) that happens to be offline at the moment and I've flicked the power to it on and off about a 40 times in ten minutes, some of them of them as quickly as possible. Not the slightest hint of problems. You've got me worried...according to your comments I should be looking at a smouldering wreckage of crispy AB PLC drooping off the back of my cabinets.

PhilipW said:
Another tosser with zero credibility. On the basis of this reported instance completely lacking useful details about the actual cause of the power outages, the actual sequence of events or information about a whole host of factors that may have caused these issues, you leap to a totally unsupported generalised conclusion about AB PLC's. And despite it being such a patently daft thing to say, you didn't have the self-restraint to think about how ill-informed it was going to make you look before posting it.

Or are you telling us that there has NEVER been an instance of any Seimens PLC hardware EVER failing for any reason whatsoever...anywhere in the world, anytime over the last 30 years? Are you telling us that Seimens PLCs are SO reliable that they NEVER fail?

Now just to satisfy my curiosity I have just gone off to one of my CLX systems ( a reasonably large one) that happens to be offline at the moment and I've flicked the power to it on and off about a 40 times in ten minutes, some of them of them as quickly as possible. Not the slightest hint of problems. You've got me worried...according to your comments I should be looking at a smouldering wreckage of crispy AB PLC drooping off the back of my cabinets.

never noticed the little smiley then. šŸ™ƒ

as for tosser šŸ‘

EDIT: I wish they had the little fisherman smileys here.

I remember on old S5 systems we lost all ethernet comms when we had a lightening storm, Siemens had to come up with a fix, which ended up being a 'large' eeprom to plug in, oh happy days.

BTW I was brought up with AB and changed to Siemens (through changing employers) at a later date.

Last edited:
And I get kinda tired reading people take ill-informed cheap-shots at Rockwell whenever they get slightest chance. Newsflash:

NONE of the automation vendors is perfect. They ALL have somethings they do well and other things not so well. Now I've made it a rule to try and not say anything much about products I don't know much about. On the other hand when I have USED a product for at least 3 months on a serious project that I have built from scratch and I have found out how it REALLY works...then may post what I do and don't like about it...and I'll give reasons.

Right now my major client/employer has one large modern S7 system and two large CLX and numerous CompactLogix systems. The S7 went in about two years ago. On the basis of that experience the next system was a similar sized CLX. On the basis of that experience we have standardised on Rockwell. Now based on this very limited information, does this make Seimens ****? Of course not. There is one hell of a lot of S7 out there in the world and it is a perfectly ok system if it meets your expectations and requirements.

Personally I consider CLX and S7 to be the only real candidates for large scale highly integrated systems. Each has differing design goals and system strengths....and if one is starting with a blank sheet of paper, choosing between the two is not a trivial exercise.

OK the "tosser" line was a bit strong and I take it back....but ask yourself....how many of the AB professional's in here like Ken Roach, or Contr_Conn have ever gratuitously slagged off ANY other PLC brand...just because they could?