Poll for UL508A MTR Test Results

How did you do on the UL508A MTR Test? (Private results, so be honest)

• Passed this on the first try.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Failed on the first attempt, but passed on the second attempt.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Failed on two attempts.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeyN

Lifetime Supporting Member
Could someone smarter than I post a poll on UL508A MTR Test?

Options:

Passed first time

Failed first time, passed second time (My hand is up!)

Failed twice

Curious what the results will look like...

Andy

Luckily, I do not have to worry about this test, but I am creating this poll for atc2222.

Finished first attempt and failed. I have taken numerous tests in my electrical career, multiple state master license tests, Rockwell classes and tests, etc and this is the first test I have ever failed, LOL. Will try again in a few weeks I suppose.
Anyone know of any study aids that are not by UL? It seems to me their library of documents and guides are an unorganized mess.

Don't know of anything besides the Standard itself. I did get something from UL titled the 10 most common challenges when building industrial control panels but it's definitely not a study guide.

Other product manufacturers have information on UL508A but it's mostly how you can use their products in ICPs.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has study guides.

What is this test even for? What does it allow you to do? Seems difficult just by the name.

UL has a program that certifies manufacturers to enable them to design, build and label Industrial Control Panels to the standard UL508A. Many locations in the USA require industrial control panels (ICPs) to be UL508A listed. It means nothing outside the USA.

When you first join the program, one or more of your engineers has to attend the class on UL508A to learn how to correctly apply the standard.

Now that the program has been running for a while, UL is asking panel shops that are part of this program to have at least one person take a test to confirm that they understand the standard. Their rationale does make a little sense. I could have started our program 10 years ago, then left the company without anyone else getting trained and the company would still be able to make listed panels.

I have sent all our electrical engineers to training so that is not the case with us. They should first ask how many people on staff have been to UL508A training and when. Then if you have no one on staff that has been trained or if the training is over X years ago I could see them requiring a test or additional training.

Finished first attempt and failed. I have taken numerous tests in my electrical career, multiple state master license tests, Rockwell classes and tests, etc and this is the first test I have ever failed, LOL. Will try again in a few weeks I suppose.
Anyone know of any study aids that are not by UL? It seems to me their library of documents and guides are an unorganized mess.

I think your experience will be common.

Before retesting, I printed out the standard, put it in a binder, and skimmed through to refresh my memory about what information was where. A couple questions seem to refer to info covered in trading course material, not necessarily explicitly stated in standard.

Even with that, I only passed by a few percent.

I’m scrupulous about not cheating, and I think that’s common amongst us.

Good luck!

Passed on the 2nd try. Just a couple of examples of the questions ( I never could find the answer to these two questions in the 508a, even after the test, BTW)

If you do not intend to to sell an empty enclosure, what type of enclosure may a manufacturer produce without an enclosure described in their procedure?
1- Type 1
2- Type 3RX, 3SX, and 3X
3- Type 4 and 4X
4- Type 12
5- All of the Above

Manufacturers are required to have their tape measures calibrated yearly
1- True
2- False

The thing I don't like about this test is you cannot skip hard questions and return later after finishing to spend more time searching.

If you do not intend to to sell an empty enclosure, what type of enclosure may a manufacturer produce without an enclosure described in their procedure?
1- Type 1
2- Type 3RX, 3SX, and 3X
3- Type 4 and 4X
4- Type 12
5- All of the Above

This question is misleading. When I first read it it seems to be talking about the manufacturer making the “enclosure” I.e. the box that the stuff goes in.

But we commonly refer to populated boxes as Electrical enclosures.

I second guess a lot of stuff. Dreading taking this thing.