Multiple controllers on primary side of PN/PN Coupler

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,
I have a project with two S7-1200 PLC's, each controller for a VSD on Profinet.
Each PLC must communicate with a third party device. I have set up each PLC as an i-device and sent to client. Unfortunately, the are unable to to read/write data, they believe this is due to the fact that our PLC is both device and controller.
We are wanting to put a PN/PN coupler between the two networks, but I was wondering if it is possible for both my PLC's to write to a specific area on the PN/PN coupler, while the third party connects to the secondary side of the coupler.
I would like to have both PLC's operate independent of each other.

Is the third party device an IO Controller? It should have no problem communicating to the CPU as an i-Device, provided you export the GSDML from STEP 7 and import it into the 3rd party device's configuration software.

If the third party device is an IO Device, then you need its GSD file imported into TIA Portal.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have a project with two S7-1200 PLC's, each controller for a VSD on Profinet.
Each PLC must communicate with a third party device. I have set up each PLC as an i-device and sent to client. Unfortunately, the are unable to to read/write data, they believe this is due to the fact that our PLC is both device and controller.
We are wanting to put a PN/PN coupler between the two networks, but I was wondering if it is possible for both my PLC's to write to a specific area on the PN/PN coupler, while the third party connects to the secondary side of the coupler.
I would like to have both PLC's operate independent of each other.

They are unable to read/write data to what, the PLCs as I-device? Definitely should be possible, the whole point of I-Device is to be controller & device at the same time. That said...

You should be able to configure the PN/PN coupler as a "shared device", where you configure transfer areas to be controlled by PLC 1 and transfer areas to be controlled by PLC 2. Then the third party sees both sets of transfer areas on the other side.

Is that what you're looking for?

Hi both,

The third party device is something delivered by ABB. It is an IO controller.

I am not on-site, one of our techs is, so it is kinda hard to troubleshoot. But ABB is saying they see the device, but are unable to hand-shake (his words).

Did some reading on the shared device, looks like this might be the way to go if we can't get the idevice to work..

I sure did.

Did a test today, and added the GSD file of PLC2 as a device to PLC1. And it works just fine.

Looks like problem is at ABB side..

I sure did.

Did a test today, and added the GSD file of PLC2 as a device to PLC1. And it works just fine.

Looks like problem is at ABB side..

I will note that I've used PLCs before that couldn't control I-devices. The feature uses "virtual" subslots, which I think was introduced into the PN spec somewhere along the way, and a device built to an older spec won't know what to do with it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I believe this is a brand-new installation, so one would hope they use new hardware.. You never know :)

So...

We end up having to use the PN/PN Coupler.
I did some research, and it seems that I can set it up as a shared device. However, they are no specific examples, of how to actually do this.

So, as per the manual. I separated my PLCs into two different projects. The PN coupler is set up identically on both, but for the assigned controller.

The generic manual shows how you can assign a specific slot to a controller, but I am not able to do so. See attached PDF.

Am I missing something (again)?

Thanks all!!!

So...

We end up having to use the PN/PN Coupler.
I did some research, and it seems that I can set it up as a shared device. However, they are no specific examples, of how to actually do this.

So, as per the manual. I separated my PLCs into two different projects. The PN coupler is set up identically on both, but for the assigned controller.

The generic manual shows how you can assign a specific slot to a controller, but I am not able to do so. See attached PDF.

Am I missing something (again)?

Thanks all!!!

Try using the GSD version instead. Other Field Devices > Profinet IO > Gateway > SIEMENS AG > PN/PN Coupler > whatever FW.

You have to drag the transfer areas out of the catalog into the device overview table instead of getting a nice chart that maps between the two sides, but the "device" with X1/X2 which is where you expect it to be in the catalog is only useful in certain scenarios. MAKE SURE ALL 3 COPIES OF THE PNPN ARE CONFIGURED CORRECTLY. X1 & X1 need to match except for which PLC is mapped to which slot. X2 needs to mirror X1. You'll probably get dumb errors or just nothing at all if it only partially matches.

That looks better already, thank you so much!

I will download and report back, I owe you a beer!

Alright, progress... Some..

I have contact with the PN/PN Coupler from both our PLC's, but still have errors because the secondary side has not been configured.

They have decided to start the weekend early, so hopefully we get stuff running Monday morning.

Thanks again!