Encoder signal to Fastech Servo Amp

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Motion control isn't my specialty...

Lately, I have been using Automation-Direct servo packages (https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...tems/Medium_Inertia_(1KW_-_3KW)_Servo_Systems) to replace mechanically-driven shafts on a few older pieces of equipment, for the purpose of improving reliability and position accuracy. For the most part, I have been using an encoder on a shaft to drive the servo amp in a "follower" configuration (servo motor shaft follows the driven shaft).

Due to a space constraint, I decided to purchase a pair of Fastech servo packages (https://miraiintertech.com/e-store/products/Ezi%2dSERVO%2dST.html)for a particular application, thinking that they would work fine. However, the manufacturer's agent has advised me that the amp must be driven by a motion controller and not by an encoder because the amp requires 1-pulse or 2-pulse inputs.

Here is the message:

"The inputs on the Fastech drive are 1-pulse or 2-pulse type inputs which are a different signal format from the encoder you have chosen. Your encoder
has a quadrature (A-Quad-B) output.

If you can connect your encoder to a simple motion controller and connect the motion controller to the Fastech drive this should solve the issue and also give you more flexibility. I hope this can work for you!"

I'm thinking (hoping) that he's wrong, as I don't want the added expense and hassle of adding a motion controller for such a simple application.

Can anyone suggest an encoder that will drive the amp? If not, is there any good reason why I couldn't use an Automation-Direct amp to drive the Fastech servo?

If the above suggestions are not feasible, can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable single-axis motion controller?

First, you need to understand that Fastech is pulling a fast one on you by calling it a servo system. It is closed-loop stepper, which is not the same as a servo system. Better make sure the stepper system can do the speeds(and torque) you want, because steppers and servos have completely different torque/speed curves. Never heard the term 1-pulse/2-pulse, but most stepper drives take Step and Direction inputs(1-pulse) or CW/CCW inputs(2-pulse). Better ones can take a quadrature encoder signal for following. I think you are stuck. It would really complicate things by adding a motion controller when all you need is a smarter drive.

I tried to find an answer, but I must agree with Highland Controls. The Fastech servo control doesn't have the feature you want. Steppers set up as as servos are always low cost systems, with many features missing.
Your link for Fastech is broken. The word "for" is attached to it. Correct link.

Give more details of your system. It sounds like there would be easier/cheaper ways to do it.

Ended up buying a Amci 3102 module for Micrologix 1100. Just downloaded the sample programs, so far, but at least I got the servo to jog, so I know the controller is compatible with the amp.

Now, I just have to get the 3102 to read my encoder and configure it to run in "follower" mode