Transfer PLC program to end-user

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all!

I was wondering if you guys have a policy regarding transferring PLC programs to the end-user?

If so, how do you transfer? I would like to use a secure service where I can upload the data, and it can only be downloaded once. Maybe using a separate password.

I am in a situation where we sold through an agent to a third party. All contracts are with the agent, but the transfer documentation was between us and end-user. The agent is a little bit too eager to get his hands on the program.

I always leave a copy with the customer, on a jump drive, when they sign off on the project at the end of commissioning. We are on-site for commissioning, so YMMV.

I don't understand the need for a one-time download. The method you've outlined implies that the end user has the programming software to get the program into the PLC once he's downloaded it so he will have unlimited access to it. Why not simply email the program file to him?
If you don't trust your agent perhaps its time to find a new one.

Thanks both.

The choice of agent is not mine, it is management.

I was on-site to do commissioning, and just by talking to their tech, I did not like the way he was pushing for the program. They do not have the necessary software, or personnel to do anything, so no need for the program imo.

The reason for the single download, is to make it less easy for the receiver to just forward the software to everyone to have. Yes, he can download and redistribute, but maybe this way he will understand our view.

Get a website... I can setup downloads for one or several and its automated, so they receive a pass code and they will login and then download.

My site cost a lot but for just simple site with not much it should be cheap.

In cases where I have requested source code for older machines, the OEM had me sign a waiver that made it so I could not sue them for damage caused by modifying their program. On the waiver was my contact information. Once they had my signed copy (which was sent via email), I was sent the software. Can't you just do something simple like that, instead of finding/creating a secure download method?

Yes, we have similar procedure.

Files are too big to send in email, so I will have to use a portal anyway.

Thanks guys, maybe I am just overthinking this.

They do not have the necessary software, or personnel to do anything... now.

I corrected and emphasized it for you. You are assuming your company will be there for the life of the equipment, which is absolutely not guaranteed and can leave the company in trouble. Additionally, most company have as a policy to have a backup (even if, it's an upload of the software to allow them back up and running).

The companies I worked for that provided the software did so after the customer signed an agreement for the use of the software. However, a few of the systems were locked and did not allow modification due to the hazard (think Deepwater Horizon), but allowed the client to go online for monitoring.

Sure, I get that, and that is the reason we are complying with the request. And we always do when the customer requests it.

But I see no reason to transfer the program to a third party (our agent).

For free transfers go to WeTransfer, select the Free option and Link. Upload up to 2GIG of files and copy the link. They will hold the file(s) up to 2GIG online for 7 days, then it's gone.

Also, you can put it in your OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or other cloud folder and give them a share link. After they get it delete the file from your folder.

Our requirement is we own the programming at commissioning, if we have the software to run it or not.

We have had issues previously where we were held "hostage" and forced to use OEM services to revise, and even download the program to a processor. We had had I&C companies tell us we could not have access during the warranty period and lock us out with a password. All well and good, but we had a processor go down and the company was not able to response for 3 days. That was with the contract specifically stating they would be on-site within 4 hours.

We pay for the service, we own the programming, even during the warranty period. If the I&C doesn't like that policy, we don't do business with them. All programming/configuration copies are required to be turn over to us immediately after commissioning before they leave the site. If that doesn't happen there is a liquidated damages penalty written into the contract. And it's very steep.

As for "no need for the program". They paid for it. Give it to them. No software or not. No ability to use it or not.

But I see no reason to transfer the program to a third party (our agent).

I suppose. If you have the end user's details send it to them directly. I really don't know how the third party contract is set up, but I've seen some where any communication to the mother company has to be done through the local contact. So there's a chance that the program ends in their hands eventually.

Get a website... I can setup downloads for one or several and its automated, so they receive a pass code and they will login and then download.

My site cost a lot but for just simple site with not much it should be cheap.

I actually maintain a box.com site and set up folders for customer access with manuals an backups, including a print out of the logic.