Jump Box, Siemens Simatic Manager

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all!

I have a client requesting quotation for us to install a jump box for remote updating of 3 Siemens S7-300 PLC's using Simatic Manager.

Maybe we also need to include FactoryTalk View Studio 7.0

So the pc will be installed locally and be used for accessing and programming the PLC and maybe HMI.

You guys have any recommendations for hardware?

Not sure what you mean by "jump box".
Do you mean a PC with a fully functional programming software for Siemens PLCs ?
Or do you mean a PC or other hardware that works as a router for accessing Siemens PLCs ?

It also makes a difference exactly what type of S7-300 PLCs you have in mind, in particular if they have Ethernet or not.

Hei Jesper!

It is a PC on which we install our engineering software. Customer already has EW()N for access :)

Well STEP7 V5.6 for S7-300/400 is pretty frugal and doesnt need much of performance or resources on the PC. I suppose that the PLCs have ethernet, or the Ew*n is the type with an MPI/DP port ?

I would install STEP7 V5.6 in a VM. Ew*n and Ecatcher works fine in a VM. It will work OK even with a HD, but who buys PCs nowadays without an SSD ?

Hei Jesper,

I think you misunderstand. The box (or PC), will be installed in the remote network. One ethernet port will be connected to the Ew*n. Another to the network with the PLC's (yes they have ethernet). So we remote connect to this new PC, to do work on the PLC's.

I am just looking for recommendations for hardware.

Something like this.

So you use Ew*n as the VPN Router to the PC. And you operate the PC by RDP or Teamviewer or similar ?
We do that sometimes as well, not using the PC for programming, but the PC has the HMI for the machine, and we can show and tell the local operator by using the HMI and Teamviewer - not RDP.

Installing a complete programming software on the local PC is a bit overkill IMO. The Ew*n works perfectly well as a VPN Router for your remote PC to access the local PLCs, also for STEP7 V5.6. That is how we use it, we can access both PLCs, HMIs and PCs via the Ew*n.
If you need a local programming device for troubleshooting, it could be enough with just PRONETA. With that you can do a lot of basic networking troubleshooting.

If you still want to go that way with installing STEP7 V5.6 on a local box PC, then I think that maybe a Celeron CPU would be cutting it a little bit too much short.

I would by a brand name rack mounted server and install the software on the server.
With a server OS, you can have multiple users logged on if needed. Something small with mirrored drives.

Thanks both.

Yes, overkill, but if customer wants it and pays the asking price, he will get it :).

Ken, I was thinking something a bit smaller. Maybe a bit more rugged..