Looking for remote I/O block for SLC series

In RSLogix500, just double click on IO Configuration. The dialog box that opens will list up to three interconnected chassis* at the upper left. You will simply click on the drop down for chassis #2 and pick the 1746-A4. The new chassis will show up as a list of empty slots numbered starting with one higher than the base chassis where the CPU sits. Add the appropriate I/O modules to those slot numbers.

You have to do this offline, then save the file with a new name and download it when you are ready to load this configuration into the PLC. The SLC will fault if the configuration doesn't match the real hardware when it powers up, so wait until you have the new chassis and cards installed.

*I refuse to call the chassis racks since my old PLC-5 days where "rack" has an entirely different meaning.

OkiePC said:
You have to do this offline, then save the file with a new name and download it when you are ready to load this configuration into the PLC.

I noticed in my own program, every time I make an online edit and try to save or upload tag values, it won't save to my original file and give me a failure. I have to save with a different name to make it work? Is that normal for the SLC? I thought maybe there was some other issue in the background, but I could have sworn on my other SLCs I was able to upload tag values and save without having to create new file name.

OkiePC said:
*I refuse to call the chassis racks since my old PLC-5 days where "rack" has an entirely different meaning.

No worries, I will start using the term chassis also, I didn't know rack was incorrect. Although I didn't see much difference when I googled pictures of plc 5 "rack" compared to slc 5/04 "chassis", they both look similar when fully empty? What's the major difference? Online editing perhaps? Never used PLC5, but heard some good things about them. I think another one of our plants is still using them to this day!

@OG Thanks for the info ~!

I noticed in my own program, every time I make an online edit and try to save or upload tag values, it won't save to my original file and give me a failure. I have to save with a different name to make it work? Is that normal for the SLC? I thought maybe there was some other issue in the background, but I could have sworn on my other SLCs I was able to upload tag values and save without having to create new file name.

That happens to me occasionally using google drive. I think it occurs when I am saving to a file marked "available offline" while I have a sketchy internet connection or start without an internet connection, then use a mobile hotspot and connect while working.. My workaround is to save with a new name and fix it later using file manager.

No worries, I will start using the term chassis also, I didn't know rack was incorrect. Although I didn't see much difference when I googled pictures of plc 5 "rack" compared to slc 5/04 "chassis", they both look similar when fully empty? What's the major difference? Online editing perhaps? Never used PLC5, but heard some good things about them. I think another one of our plants is still using them to this day!

@OG Thanks for the info ~!

the word "rack" isn't incorrect, but if you are talking PLC-5 stuff dealing with logical racks versus physical racks, using the word "chassis" when you mean "physical rack" can help avoid confusion.

In the PLC2, PLC-3, and the PLC-5 (and even in the SLC when using the Universal Remote I/O communications network) the term "rack" is related to addressing I/O whereas chassis refers to the physical hardware. You could say "rack" is a software term as it has nothing to do with hardware.

Literally, "rack" in those systems means 128 input bits and 128 output bits. It might take 16 slots in a chassis to use one rack of memory. Or it might take eight or four. It was ugly. You don't want to dive down that rabbit hole.

OG

Last edited:
Some follow-up questions, I plan to use the the 1746-A4 chassis, along with these cards and power supply. The last slot will remain empty/open. This setup will be coming off an A7 chassis using the 1746-C16 chassis interconnect cable.

1746-P2
1746-IB16
1746-OB16
1746-NI4

On Radwell's website, it has these specs for these cards:

P2 is "OUTPUT: 5 AMP AT 5 VDC / 0.96 AMP AT 24 VDC"
IB16 is "50 MA AT 5 VDC BACKPLANE CURRENT, 0 amps @ 24vdc"
OB16 is "280 MA @5 VOLT, 0 amps @ 24vdc"
NI4 is 25mA @ 5vdc, 85mA @ 24vdc

My questions are:

1) Do I need to add up all the currents for all cards at 5 volts to ensure it's under 5A and also do the same for 24vdc and make sure it's under .96 amps? If so, I could probably get away with using a 1746-P1 (2A @5vdc and .46A @24vdc) ?

2) What is the SLC using the 5vdc for anyway? Is it to communicate with other cards? I understand it probably uses the 24vdc to power some of the other cards, but what is the 5vdc being used for?

Thanks,

In RSLogix 500 if you add the modules to the remote chassis it will add up their current requirements. You can then toggle through the different power supplies to verify they will not be overloaded.

OG