Can I use my studio 5000 on 2 computers

miller20

So I have studio 5000 on 1 of my programming computers, however I just s
Bought a new programming computer that I need studio 5000 on. I don’t feel I should have to pay for it again when I paid a couple thousand for the 1 I have is there a way to do this??

Thanks

if you put you activations on the dongle you can do what you want
jus contact Rockwell activation support there is a small fee for the dongle

If both of your PCs are on the same network, you can also make one a license server for the other PC and checkout licenses for extended length of times. What's your use case? Do you have two people using the software or just one?

i do not recommend putting your license on a server if there is ANY possibility of you not seeing the network on your WIFI system.
also, if the server is down for maintenance or has to be rebooted, you are out of luck. i think the dongle is the best option.
james

I'm pretty sure once the license is aquired you don't need a permanent connection to the server. Open Studio 5000, aquire license and off you go. And i think there's a 7 day period before it needs to talk to the server again

i do not recommend putting your license on a server if there is ANY possibility of you not seeing the network on your WIFI system.
also, if the server is down for maintenance or has to be rebooted, you are out of luck. i think the dongle is the best option.
james

From my CS1.6 days, I can also recommend this if your WiFi doesn't allow reaching other laptops on WiFi. A local network switch with unique IP addresses for each laptop also works. But yeah the network server not being available is a risk. Similar to losing a dongle :D Not sure what has a higher probability.

if you put you activations on the dongle you can do what you want
jus contact Rockwell activation support there is a small fee for the dongle

I didn't know dongle was an option. We don't use Rockwell a lot but we sometimes need it in one office and sometimes in another. Being able to put the license on a dongle would work well for us. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.

Borrowing the license from a server would not require continuous connection to the server. At the end of the borrow period the license automatically returns to the server. You can also return it earlier.

If instead of borrowing, you are connecting to the server and using the license on the server then a connection to the server needs to be maintained. It will "phone home" occasionally to verify the connection. Brief interruptions shouldn't be a problem, but don't plan on disconnecting and going to a customer site. For that you want to borrow or use a dongle.

OG

I have always used a dongle to license my Rockwell software across multiple PCs/laptops.

So long as there is only one licensed package running on a machine at any one time, you remain within the rules. Starting up the application on one machine then moving the dongle to another to allow the application to run concurrently (grace mode on one) is apparently not allowed.

However, we know that you can run multiple instances of, for example, RSLogix/Studio5000 on the same machine, even at different versions. Without that capability, most of us would not be able to do our jobs !!

This area is a bit muddy, in that running multiple instances on one PC is OK, but running multiple instances on one PC but in separate VMs is apparently not OK. simply because the USB dongle has to be disconnected from the host and connected to the VM.

I believe, and will welcome expert comments on this, that Rockwell counts a VM as a separate machine, when in reality VM technology is just a tool to allow us to manage our lives better.

Last edited: