Studio 5000 and VFD information

HoldenC

I'm tasked with getting all the part numbers on our VFD, and purchase replacements for spares.

We have around 50 of them in our facility, and most of them are so close together that I cant get part numbers from them.

IS there any chance I could pull this information from the logic ? All of the drives are connected via Ethrnet and show up in logic, but all I see is "PowerFlex 755", I woud need exact numbers for replacements.

50 Different VFD's on hand for spares will be very expensive
then you must consider that you should power then up every few years to keep the cap's formed. I have had drives the when power up after sitting for years the caps blow up
it would be better to make a list of what you have then settle on one manufacture for all you VFD's going forward. then see where you use one spare on many motors.
more then likely some of you VFD's are obsolete and a direct spare is not available.
you may be able to get away with just a handful of spares to cover all the VFD's

Thanks for the reply.

All of the drives were installed new last year. This is a brand new facility. However, we had a PF 755 fail last week. We were down for 12 hours waiting on a replacement.

A lot of our drives are PowerFlex drives. 755, 753, and 525. They’re a few different frame sizes involved however.

I just don’t know if the vfds have to be an exact replacement by matching catalog numbers.

Last edited:
since you have that many, may i suggest the following.

use a cell phone or mirror to take a picture or read the reflection from the mirror of the part number.
group the drives into horsepower size. standardize of the max hp for that drive.
buy spares for the size group above.
Standardize on a brand name for all drives and put that into any future equipment spec.
that is what we did and saved a ton of money.
instead of 40 spare drives, we now have 10-16.
regards,
james

I can’t say I’ve ever payed enough attention to wether it shows the actual part number.

I would go on the networks open rslinx and browse the drive and see if it’s listed in any of the tabs.

If you have prints you should be able to get the drawings and look at the boms.
Also, any oem would provide a spreadsheet of spares if you ask.
Just ask for a spare parts quote from your oems and you want to purchase spares.

For a small fee, local Rockwell distributors will keep key spares on the shelf for you. You only have to pay when you need it. We do this with key VFD's. They have about 4 models on hand, just for us. We can get one delivered in about an hour during day time and 2-3 hours at night.

For a small fee, local Rockwell distributors will keep key spares on the shelf for you.....

I dread to think how "small" that is ....

Reminds me of the joke about the retired maintenance fitter in a cotton mill and his piece of chalk ...

Can't use just collect the serial numbers via RSWho/ Controller Organizer and send them to your Rockwell Distributor? They will be able to generate a lookup list of all your inverter's and part numbers...

Capture.JPG

Can't use just collect the serial numbers via RSWho/ Controller Organizer and send them to your Rockwell Distributor? They will be able to generate a lookup list of all your inverter's and part numbers...

I didnt know they could do that. That would help me out a lot. I was giving the list to a Rockwell Distributor anyway. Thanks a lot for that information / idea.