How can IM151-8 CPU Siemens PLC talk with modbus

HamzaAhmed

Hi guys,

I have IM151-8 Siemens PLC, i want to connect it with Modbus and read/write on it using Modbus protocol.

How can i do this? Do i need extra modules or what?

Thanks,

Modbus RTU is supported with the 1SI module 6ES7138-4DF11-0AB0.
Notice that all of ET200S family has entered the phase-out, so prices will increase and modules will become unavailable with the more special modules becoming unavailable before the general ones. So better get one of these modules as soon as possible if you need it.

Modbus TCP is not supported.

I used MGATE 5103 1-PORT MODBUS/ETHERNET/IP-TO-PROFINET
gateway to connect Banner wireless sensors(Modbus TCP) to Siemens profinet network.

If you need Modbus TCP and it's a CPU with PN interface, you can implement the Modbus TCP protocol in software using the basic TCP blocks of the CPU. Modbus TCP is relatively simple protocol, so it's not too complicated to implement. The advantage is, that you can reuse the code in all other types of Siemens PN CPUs, like 315 PN/DP oder even S7-400 PN variants.