Setting up CP 343-1 card (siemens)

Right.. this is very strange... here's what happens...

TouchscreenPC -> Laptop (crossover cable) = connection
TouchscreenPC -> CP343-1 card (crossover) = NO connection
Laptop -> CP343-1 card (crossover) = connection
Laptop -> CP343-1 card (straight through) = connection
TouchscreenPC -> CP343-1 card (straight through) = NO connection

In other words.. regardless of the cable I use, I can get my laptop and the touchscreenPC to communicate. I can also get my laptop and the CP343-1 card to communicate regardless of the cable. However... no matter which cable I use, the touchscreenPC and the CP343-1 will not recognise that either one is plugged in to anything. ie. No LINK led on the CP343 card and "Network cable unplugged" on the PC ??????

Anyone any ideas???

Thanks

JT :)

The CP343-1 will not autonegotiate. If the Touchscreen PC also do not autonegotiate then they will never figure out how to talk to each other.
Putting a switch in the middle between both can solve the problem (no guarantee though). The switch will do all the negotiation between PC and CP343-1.

Jesper

What sort of a switch do I need? Do you mean an ethernet hub? or router or some such?

Also, as the Touchscreen PC is running Win XP Sp2 (the same as the laptop), is there no way to make the Touchscreen 'autonegotiate' the connection?

I mean, there's not really any difference between the touchscreen and my laptop so, as far as I can tell, they should behave the same?

Many thanks

What sort of a switch do I need? Do you mean an ethernet hub? or router or some such?
A regular Ethernet Switch. I use an "Industrial" one from MOXA, but any officegrade switch will do.
A hub will not do (some people use the term "hub" for what is really a switch).
A Router will also do. But that would be overkill.

is there no way to make the Touchscreen 'autonegotiate' the connection?
I'm sure there is. But I prefer to play with the simple PLC. The complicated world of PCs often leaves me stumped. So I dont know. If you open up the properties of the Ethernet NIC there are lots of settings to mess around with. Could also be a setting under Network Connections.

Yes it looks OK.
The MOXA switch that I use is a simple unmanaged type like the one you have found.
But I cannot guarantee that this will solve the problem.
If you can borrow a switch or a router to try it out first then you will know better.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has one to borrow.

I'll go and get the switch tomorrow and then report back on how it goes...

Why can't life be simple eh?

Once again JesperMP, many thanks for both your patience and your posts... :)

Hi Johnny,

I see in the other thread that you didnt have succes even after trying with as switch.

Did any LED's light up on the switch, the CP343-1, or the PC ?

Which one(s) did not light up ?

If you remove either the CP343-1 or the PC from the switch (but the other stay connected), what happens then ?

Jesper.. I've been having an absolute nightmare the last two weeks mate.

I bought the ethernet switch and connected it up and ... nothing.

No light on the CP343-1 card (apart from the green Run LED). No lights on the ethernet port of the PC.

I bought extra leads and swapped the leads in all the different configurations but still nothing.

I changed the 312 PLC for a 313C 2-DP but still nothing.

All I get is the green Run LED on the front of the 343-1 card.

If I plug in my laptop to the 343-1 card the LINK LED springs into life and I can 'ping' the card.

Similarly, if I plug my laptop into the PC the leds around the ethernet port (on the PC) spring into life and I can 'ping' the PC.

But for some reason the PC and the CP343-1 card will NOT talk with each other....

Its driving me bananas.

I only wanted to test some code by firing it to an S7 and back to Citect... I've managed to get hold of an S5 now but I'm still struggling to talk to that (see "Help needed. Getting Citect to talk to S5 ")

So.. I'm at a loss.. if you have any suggestions then I'd be most grateful

Cheers

John

This experiment will not solve the problem, but maybe clarify where the problems are:

Connect your laptop, your touchscreen and CP343-1 at the same time to the switch.
Then try to ping CP343-1 and touchscreen from the laptop. It should work with no problems, because it allready works with a direct connection.
And try to ping CP343-1 and laptop from the touchscreen.

Jesper

I linked the PC, PLC and laptop via the ethernet switch and I get nothing... No link led on the PLC, just the usual RUN led. No leds around the PC ethernet port either...???

Any ideas??

Cheers

JT

Then the switch is defective or not turned ON or .. ?
You should DEFINITELY be able to achive the same with the switch as you can with a direct connection.
You should be able to ping the two PCs from each other for example.

Nothing to do with the switch, but I just came to think of that maybe you have set the CP343-1 to some specific setting in the HW setup.
In the Properties for the CP343-1 in the HW setup under Options and Trasnmission medium/duplex, is "automatic" selected or something else ?
If not set to Automatic, try to set it and try again.

Can you possibly post your project file ?

I agree with Jesper. This doesn't make any sense at all. You should at least be able to ping the card.

I'm grasping at straws, but you could give this a try: Change the IP address of the CP card to see if a different address works, just to see if there is something in the PC that doesn't like the existing address (Internet security software, or something like that). Just a thought.

Sorry I've not been back in this thread guys. I've only just noticed the new replies. I've got hold of an S5 PLC for the testing side now so I'm going to develop the project with that first (cos it will be talking to S5 when it goes on site).

Once that's developed I'm going to have a go with the S7 over ethernet again.

The job will initially talk to S5's and then six months or so down the line the S5's are planned to be upgraded to S7's.

I've had a mountain of problems with the S5 comms but I've got it talking now so while I've got the momentum I'm going to finish the software development and then concentrate on S7 comms at the end.

I'll certainly try S7Guys suggestion of changing the IP address.

Jesper, the card is configured on 'auto' (I've also tried the other configs).

Many thanks for the suggestions and help...

Will post back at a later date as and when I get things working to let you all know how I went on.

Cheers