Industrial Ethernet Cable For Remote I/O

zmanvortex

I have a remote I/O rack approximately 5 ft. away from the main processor rack. The connection to the remote I/O needs to be a Cat5e crossover cable with RJ-45 ends.

My question is whether I should get a shielded ethernet cable or not. I was thinking that someone told me that shielding an ethernet cable actually affects the signals in a bad way.

If I should use shielded cable does anyone know where I can get a 7' to 10' cat5e shielded crossover cable assembly?

Thanks.

We remote mount the key pad on VFD's with Cat 5 cables bought at Radio Shack. We have not had problems.

On some occasions, the panel shop has created custom length Cat 5 cables and there have not been issues with noise. I do not think you will have problems with a 5 foot run.

If you know the patch cord will or may be run in conduit with electrical wiring then you should probably used shielded cable, this is acceptable when EMI could be present.

UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) is common but they also make STP (shielded twisted pair) an example:
http://cat5ecableguy.com/inc/sdetail/12770

I missed this, that site has shielded cables pre-made in 10 foot for $3.50.
http://cat5ecableguy.com/shielded_cat5e_cables?b=1

That is not a crossover though but you could probably get a custom made for around $10 or so with shipping cost.

Last edited:
Thanks rsdoran, I don't see the shielded cables from your references in a crossover configuration, only patch.

We are running the cable in plastic conduit by itself so we may be ok without shielding.

sometimes i'm assembling cables myself, from shielded SYKFY 2-pair (or 3 or 4 pair) cable, as you probably know, for 10/100mbit TP only 4conducts are necessary... the reason is, that we always need user-length cable or, using MODBUS Units with RJ45, which need to be connected 'in place' - results are great for even longer distance then 100 meters, all i care about is to have same diameter of conduct ... but to say truth, also have seen non-shielded cable for quite long distances in factory, and no problems so far ... maybe also helps that all communication is always enclosed in panzer-tubes outside switchboard rack

I have not heard of any problems with shielded Cat-5. However, I have heard that running unshielded Cat 5 in a metallic conduit will attenuate the signal if the conduit is very long. However, I've also heard that if you are using metallic conduit you should use shielded Cat 5 to not get the attenuation. In the end I think you will find a large variety of opinions on the topic.

One caution, when pulling Cat-5 into a conduit limit the pulling force to 25 lbs as per EIA/TIA-568-A. Excessive force will damage the conductors. This often precludes running it with other wires.

We haven't had any problems with unshielded CAT5 in dedicated metal conduits going up to about 360 feet (bit longer than spec). That's not to say it won't be an issue for others, just that I have not seen it.

I don't think you will have a problem with unshielded. But, you could look at Siemens for a good shielded cable. Their Profinet cable and connectors are shielded but I bet the are expensive.