Dual Compressor PLEASE HELP DUE VERY SOON!

vietkidx

Part 2 – Alternating Compressors when Loading is Light​
In this part, each compressor is to take its turn bringing the storage tank pressure back up to the
selected pressure setting. Pneumatic/Electric switch PE1 will continue to be utilized for this
purpose and the settings will remain the same as those used in the previous exercise.​

Allow the user to start and stop the air system using the appropriate panel mounted switches, and
ensure that the "Run" lamp is illuminated whenever the system is enabled. Lamp "C1" should be
illuminated only when compressor #1 is actually running.
Prior to testing your program, adjust the system's discharge flow rate to 50% as shown. This
setting should prove to be low enough that a single compressor will then be able to supply the
needs of this particular pneumatic system.
Once you have created your program, download it to the PLC and test out its operation. When
the start button is pressed, the Compressor should start and begin to build up pressure within the
storage tank. Once the pressure reaches 120PSI, the compressor should stop, and remain idle​
until the pressure in the storage tank drops below 110PSI.

i got part one to work where one motor will go on and off during the PSI cant get the dual motors to alternate can someone help please thank you!

I would run both compressors until the pressure hit 100 then drop one out... but thats just me :p

You need some form of "flip-flop", "alternator", or "bistable" logic to achieve this.

Specifically, you need a bit that changes state (0 to 1, or 1 to 0) each time the motor is run.

If you search this forum there are literally hundreds of ideas and suggestions you could work on.

heres my work so far please help its really annoying me i cant get it to alternate back and forth getting confused

ATTEMPT.jpg

Consider only having one start/stop logic rung with a "To Run" output bit. I see you already have that, driving the Run Lamp

Use another rung to direct that to one of your two outputs depending on the state of your "alternating" bit. Your second and third rungs are too complicated, they only nee the "Run Lamp" input, and the opposing states of an "alternating" bit, which you still have to program

"Flip" the state of your alternating bit every time the "To Run" bit comes on i.e the Run Lamp

Last edited:
my english is not very good can u give my an example picture wise?

Consider only having one start/stop logic rung with a "To Run" output bit.

Use another rung to direct that to one of your two outputs depending on the state of your "alternating" bit.

"Flip" the state of your alternating bit every time the "To Run" bit comes on

I've copied the original, and added some clarifying comments...

In this part, each compressor is to take its turn bringing the storage tank pressure back up to the selected pressure setting. Pneumatic/Electric switch PE1 will continue to be utilized for this purpose and the settings will remain the same as those used in the previous exercise. I take this to mean that only one compressor will be run, but they will alternate. PE1 will be the feedback that the storage tank is "up to pressure". You only need the one feedback (pressure switch).

Allow the user to start and stop the air system using the appropriate panel mounted switches, and ensure that the "Run" lamp is illuminated whenever the system is enabled. An indication that the system is "armed" Lamp "C1" should be illuminated only when compressor #1 is actually running. No indication is asked for if C2 is running instead of C1

Prior to testing your program, adjust the system's discharge flow rate to 50% as shown. This setting should prove to be low enough that a single compressor will then be able to supply the needs of this particular pneumatic system. Obviously there are further set-ups to come, where both may be needed, but not in this session.

Once you have created your program, download it to the PLC and test out its operation. When the start button is pressed, the (one of the two) Compressor should start and begin to build up pressure within the storage tank. Once the pressure reaches 120PSI, the compressor should stop, and remain idle until the pressure in the storage tank drops below 110PSI.​

If you go by my recommendations, your motor control logic will be simple (see the pic)

Which motor is driven to run will depend on the state of ALTERNATING BIT, so you now have to design some method of changing the state (flipping or toggling) of ALTERNATING BIT every time the system asks for a compressor to run.

Also note I have used the "running feedback" from C1 (I don't know which input it is), to light the lamp to say it is running, because that was specifically asked for.

2014-03-04_000435.jpg

Last edited:
ty that helped alot!

If you go by my recommendations, your motor control logic will be simple (see the pic)

Which motor is driven to run will depend on the state of ALTERNATING BIT, so you now have to design some method of changing the state (flipping or toggling) of ALTERNATING BIT every time the system asks for a compressor to run.

Also note I have used the "running feedback" from C1 (I don't know which input it is), to light the lamp to say it is running, because that was specifically asked for.