PLC network problems

ostertz

Hello,

When I connect to a ControlLogix controller on an Ethernet network and I go online with the PLC, after some time (a few seconds, or so) the safety relay goes to fault causing an immediate stop of the machine.

Apparently it only happens when I use my laptop, since when I went online with another laptops it didn't happen. Does anyone have a clue what it can be?

I've been looking for information, but I couldn't find anything. Perhaps my technical English isn't accurate.

Thank you in advance.

Duplicate IP address?

Hello Rob,

No, it's not the case. I used an available IP address. What is more, I disconnected my laptop from the network and I tried with another laptop with the same IP settings and there was no problem. I used the same Ethernet cable, as well.

Do you have something running in the background of your laptop that might interfere with the PLC program? What version of RSLogix are you using? Which model of controller is it?

Do you have something running in the background of your laptop that might interfere with the PLC program? What version of RSLogix are you using? Which model of controller is it?

Hello Prayder,

I use RSLogix5000 v17.01 running on a Virtual Machine. The controller is ControlLogix 1756-L63 rev. 17.3.

When I go online with the controller, after some time a PNOZ safety relay goes to fault.

I have just realized that the WiFi was enabled in the real machine. But it's strange, because other times I forgot disabling the WiFi adapter I couldn't even scan the network.

A few questions
when the problems happens is there a yellow fag on the network tree?

how many ethernet connection are on the processor?
I ran into a similar problem on a compactlogix processor it turned out when I connected the laptop to the network I exceeded the number of nodes allowed and the processor drops other nodes to allow the laptop to connect
also the laptop is counted a 2 nodes
in that case they added network nodes that were not planed so we had to upgrade the processor

Does the relay give any info as to what faulted it?

Like a comms fault?

I remember spanning tree on some switches would drop devices and re-add them when something new was plugged into a switch. I don't remember the fix but it was something to do with spanning tree.