Connection problem between laptop and GE Quickpanel

kkarun

Hello Everyone,

I am being unable to connect my laptop & GE Quickpanel (IC754VGI12CTD) through an ethernet cable. But I could connect the same HMI to PC using same ethernet cable (TCP/IP properties was same for PC & laptop). I am facing diffculty at site to load changes in the HMI screens, since I have to take the HMI out of the panel to connect it to PC. Please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Arun

Last edited:
I had used same TCP/IP settings for PC & laptop
IP : 192.168.1.5
Subnet : 255.255.255.0

TCP/IP settings for Quick panel
IP: 192.168.1.3
subnet : 255.255.255.0

I had used same ethernet cable in both cases. But it was downloading the project to quickpanel, only when I connect to a PC, but the same did not happen when I used laptop.

Also, I can connect the same laptop to another PLC (beckhoff) using same ethernet cable without any problem.

If it does not ping, there is likely a problem with the port or cable. Do you have a patch cable or cross-over cable? Does the laptop auto detect and adjust for this?

The cable I have is cross-over cable and it works well with PLCs. Anyway, today I am going to site.

Thanks to Mr. Caddymac & Mr. RussB for your support.

Russ and Caddymac I am highjacking this thread due to the fact that i am having the same issue. IP setting for Laptop are Subnet and Gateway match and IPs are apart by 10. I can ping from PC to HMI but not HMI to PC. I also have a PLC on the same Switch(unmanaged) and i can connect to PLC and ping it from both PC and HMI. Anypointers?

Good question. What happens if you connect straight from the computer to the QP? In other words, get the switch out of the equation.

This is rather odd, I do not understand it but if it were mine I would check.
** Tripple check all IP addresses.
** Turn the wireless "OFF" on the PC.
** Try a different cable.
** Eliminate the Switch as in post #9.
** Update my Proficy ME and do a "Clean Download" to the QPView. (Delete all 'Runtime' files on the QPView)
** Get a Compact Flash card and prepare to load the project with it. (Just in case.)

@ caddymac Taking the switch out did not make it better or worse but upon pinging from PC i recived a reply back from 169.254.99.62:)huh:) saying that 172.20.177.21 was not reachable the ip of my pc is the same as the later but is a .10 as the last digit. Do the QPs have DHCP?

@russ
1.Check
2.Check
3.Check
4.Cant get the PC to even connect to HMI
5.Dont think i have a CF card around but let me look.....

Throwing my 2 cents worth in since I just saw a similiar issue with a customer's laptop. Final resolve: Company IT had installed Firewall software on laptop and PC which was blocking any IP address outside the range used by the company.

Once I finally got access to the firewall, added the IP range for PLC network and all was well.

Just something else to check... and irritate the **** out of you when you're trying to do a job!

Throwing my 2 cents worth in since I just saw a similiar issue with a customer's laptop. Final resolve: Company IT had installed Firewall software on laptop and PC which was blocking any IP address outside the range used by the company.

Once I finally got access to the firewall, added the IP range for PLC network and all was well.

Just something else to check... and irritate the **** out of you when you're trying to do a job!
This is why I think of the Spielberg movie "IT" every time I see that term. "Evil Clowns". :)

clown-it.jpg

Turned off MS Firewall. The company I work for has TONS of network hubs that use proxy software to protect and monitor user activity. After disabling the Firewall i was able to get two way ping from PC to HMI using patch cable(different one than yesterday) and with a cross-over adapter. Still seem to be getting error code 6103 saying the address doesn't match. I think i will look at GE knowledge base and see about restoring the QP to factory state. Let you guys know how it works.