connecting to festo manifolds with AB RIO

oregonsam

Can anyone point out a good source of information about connecting a RIO network to a festo FB-03 module. I'm trying to communicate using the RIO terminal of a PLC5/15.

I've never worked with RIO networks, so I'm confused on both configuration and wiring.

The festo wiring diagram (Modular electrical peripherals type 03/04b p29) just shows the S+ and S- terminals. I'm not sure how this relates to the blue hose colors.

I'm also unclear as to the RC circuit hooked up to ground, is this necessary. And what about a terminating resistor or which port should be the last on the network?

How do I set the processor dipswitches/RSlogix channel configuration?

AND, can I talk to the PLC5/15 on the DH+ with my computer, while the PLC communicates on the RIO?

If anyone knows a good source of this kind of festo/RIO information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sam

Festo

oregonsam
I am not familiar with Festo products but I do know A-B RI/O
I will help as I can.

Post the Festo wiring diagram or link.

Yes you can talk to the PLC-5/15 on the DH+ with your computer, while the PLC communicates on the RIO? The port for your programming terminal is DH+, it is paralleled, internally, with the DH+ connection.

Roger

Last edited:
Festo

I've done exactly what you're trying to do with Festo blocks, and I don't remember any major difficulty.

There should be some DIP switches (incredibly small ones, as I recall) on the Festo board. You'll need to look in the Festo manual to find out what the settings are to set these to the rack size and starting block that you want.

From the PLC's perspective, the Festo will appear on the RI/O link as any other rack of PLC I/O would.

The smallest "rack" size you will be able to make the Festo transmitter 'appear' as is 1/4 rack = 2 x 16-bit words = 32 Festo blocks. If you have more than that under one controller, then you'll want to up the size of the block, but more than likely, you don't.

If you have multiple block controllers (I don't remember what Festo calls their ASB/Remote I/O adapter), then you will give them a different address than eachother. You might set one up as Rack 1, 1/4 rack, starting slot 0 (which will come into the PLC as I:10/0 through I:11/17 (octal addressing)), and the second as Rack 1, 1/4 rack, starting slot 2 (I:12/0-I:13/17). This assumes that the PLC chassis is an 8-slot rack, not a 16 (a 16 slot rack, with single-slot, non-complimentary I/O, would occupy all of racks 0 and 1 in the I/O image table, so your first available Festo rack would be 'Rack 2')

As for setting up the remote I/O in the RSView, you just double-click on I/O configuration, right click on the I/O Channel column, and select "Add Chassis". Select a "Custom I/O device" with "Generic RIO Chssis", enter the size of the racks, with the same configuration settings as you set the Festo DIP switches, and you should be good.

I had thought that there was an Auto-Detect for Remote I/O, but you have to be online with the 5/15 to see that option, and I don't happen to have one on hand (5/25, 5/11, sure. 5/20, 5/40E, no problem. But no 5/15. Sorry).

I don't remember about the S+ and S-. There should be 3 wires - 1,2,Sheild - perhaps those are them, with the shield somewhere else. Again, your Festo manual should say.

There's a good chance that when you connect your remote I/O up, you'll have the wires backwards. If at first you don't succeed, swap the blue and clear on one end.

Getting RIO up and talking is almost always a PITA. Start slow, with just one block as the OMLY RIO device. Then do another as the only one. THEN the two together. This will save you much heart/headache when troubleshooting (is it the cable or the switch settings or the configuration or ....) by starting off knowing that you don't have address conflicts, or have to redo a lot of wiring, or....

AS for terminating resistors, if you use a fairly short (10') cable, while you try to get everything talking, you probably don't need them.

DH+ simultaneous with RIO? Yes, absolutely. You should have two dedicated channels - one labelled "Peer to Peer Comm" (AKA DH+) and the other "REM I/O") (these are off of my 5/25 - same family).

A few vague memories (which, being older than 24 hours are suspect): We had some problems with the connections between the Festo ASB board and the control block backplane. Loose connections or some such thing. Also at least one backplane went bad (did a bit of cannibalizing to make things work). The connections seemed a bit flimsy. But the blocks themselves worked well.

Good luck. As always, post any further questions. (And that's POST , not Private Message).

Sorry for delay, just got back in town. Thanks for advice, I will try suggestions tomorrow and try to find a way to post the wiring stuff.

Can anyone reccomend the best source of info about AB PLC5 RIO connections, and programming using RSLogix? Bye, Sam

Sam

You can go to the Allen-Bradley site and get a manual for the PLC-5/15, it will cover RI/O.
http://www.ab.com/manuals/
As you read A-B manuals you will realize it is important to grasp the definitions of RACK and CHASSIS.

Be aware, Sam, that it is very common for the term RACK to be misused.
The term RACK refers to I/O count only, one RACK is equal to 128 input bits and 128 output bits or 8 input words and 8 output words. (16 bits = one word)

The other Term that is often confused with rack is CHASSIS, One 16-slot CHASSIS can hold up to four racks of I/O.

Allen-Bradleys wiring standard for;
RI/O 1=Blue, SH=Shield, 2=Clear. (Belden cable 9463 twinaxial)
DH+ 1=Clear, SH=Shield, 2=Blue. (Belden cable 9463 twinaxial)

One other item, you should have a resistor at both ends of your remote I/O link, the resistors should come with the PLC.
82 ohm you can have 32 physical devices on a link but can scan a maximum of 16 racks on a link.
150 ohm you can have 16 physical devices on a link but can scan a maximum of 16 racks on a link.(This is in general, it doesn't mean that all PLCs can have this quantity of racks and physical devices)

Reading the manuals will help you a lot more than I can.

Roger

festo manual?

Thanks for all the great information.
The Allen Bradley portion of this connection is becoming clearer and I have written a RSLogix project that should set up the PLC5. Unfortunately, I haven't been to locate a manual showing the actual dip switch settings for the festo IFB8-03 RIO interface module. As Allen said in his post, there are tiny switches down there. Two standard dip switches and two rotary switches that can select between 0 and 9. Does anyone have any clues where Festo might keep this info on the web, or how to set these switches?