Webgui fails to open

Steve_D

Guys, I am trying to connect to an ATL610 autochangeover unit (but thats not important) it has an ethernet adaptor to talk TCP/ip. I will utimately be reading data out of it with my scada package.
My problem is that it seems to be set up correctly, i.e I can ping it, but I cant seem to read the data out. It has a webgui so by rights I should just put in the IP adress and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and open internet explorer, type in the adress and get "something".
Unfortunately it just sits there with a blank window, no failed to connect errors or cant find the page errors or anything.
Any ideas why this might be? Could there be security settings that let you connect but not display detail?
Thanks in advance

I had a quick look at the manual. It doesn't seem to have anything about a webgui. It mentions configuration software and modbus tcp though.

Maybe you need to configure what it publishes out of port 80 before it can be used?

Look up TCPing and try pinging it on port 44818. That's the ethernet/IP port - previously when I;'ve had devices that would ping but not talk to my PLC, it was because I had a configuration setting wrong that meant it was talking Profinet instead of ethernet/IP or something similar. As Geoff suggests, you may be looking at a similar problem with the web browser - maybe it's not configured to return anything on port 80. You may be able to tell that with TCPing as well

Thanks guys but it has an ethernet port adaptor, an ATLXP1013 comms adaptor that definitly gives me TCP/ip comms.
Not sure what port 80 is. The default port number for the ATLXP unit was 1001 but I thought modbus defaults to port 502... Are these numbers important or do they just have to match what reading from it?

Right, sorry, I misread your post and thought you were trying to use Ethernet/IP. It looks like you're actually trying to use Modbus TCP?

My next move would still be TCPing, as you say the default port number for Modbus TCP is 502, not 44818. Port 80 is (generally) the web browser port, but again you should check the documentation of the device to be sure.

And as Bryan suggested, try a few different web browsers

Do you have Java 6 or higher installed on your PC and have you used the Web Server Configurator tool they provide? I'd also try running Internet Explorer in compatibility mode as version 6 of Java is quite old and is a good indication that compatibility mode may be necessary.

I am not sure what an ATL610 is, but a lot of the newer flow meters and analyzers we have been using require 2 IP's to be configured. One to access the web GUI and another for the process connection.