FTViewME program locations

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello members! Long time no post! I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the new year!

Today I have a question about the default program storage location used in FTVME. I'm not referring to APAs or MERs, but to the actual file structures. The default location on Windows 7 stations is:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects

Is there any registry change or something that can alter that location and make the program use a network location instead without breaking a bunch of functionality? I'm envisioning a pool of programs that we can all access from our workstations that will reflect any changes made by previous programmers. Has anyone ever looked into this?

TIA!

I don't believe there is a way to customize the file path for Rockwell programming software (SE or ME). I would suggest looking into their Application Code Manager tool though since this is specifically designed to do what you are trying to - creating a centralized repository/library for several people to use. It is also not limited to only HMI development, but can combine PLC logic, Add-on Instructions, UDT's, etc also.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...ucts/studio5000_application_code_manager.page

How many team members are you looking to create a library for?

Currently only about 5, but part of the problem is three are on first, one on second, and one on third shift. So not all the programming is happening while we are here on first, and those off shift guys seem to always forget to update the APAs on the server and we end up wiping out their programming changes.

I'll check into Application Manager, I took a lab on it at TechEd and it seemed like a cool package. I was hoping to be able to make some sort of "gray area" change in the registry instead of needing another firstborn sacrifice for an additional Rockwell package :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hello members! Long time no post! I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the new year!

Today I have a question about the default program storage location used in FTVME. I'm not referring to APAs or MERs, but to the actual file structures. The default location on Windows 7 stations is:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects

Is there any registry change or something that can alter that location and make the program use a network location instead without breaking a bunch of functionality? I'm envisioning a pool of programs that we can all access from our workstations that will reflect any changes made by previous programmers. Has anyone ever looked into this?

TIA!

It wouldn't be as simple as just clicking the address bar in the dialog box and browsing to a different folder while creating a project, would it?

Nope, not that easy. View does not give you an option for where to store the application itself. It has a fixed location where projects are stored.

OG

It would definitely have to be done in the registry, I haven't been able to locate any sort of program option to change the location. Rockwell live chat said that there wasn't any way to edit it, though I think that really means there's no *suggested* way to edit it... I'm sure there's a way to do so, but I don't know what the side effects would be.