Some One We Know?

Start looking at the employees of the company that made the machine.. probably a backdoor.
Nah, more likely he accidentally discovered it one day when he pulled on a 20 or a 50 or something that he didn't mean to put in there and pulled it back out before it went all the way in, then noticed that it refunded his money even though he still got the bill out. Then he devised a way to repeat that at will. i think an employee would have known there were cameras looking right at his face. He was making no attempt to hide.

... the man used a $20 bill that was coated in plastic and attached to something similar to fishing line. The suspect entered the coated $20 bill 35 times and voided each car wash purchase to trigger a refund from the machine. Each time, he was able to pull the coated bill back out of the machine. By the time the thief was done, the machine was missing $700 in $5 bills.

That said, I "know a guy" who did a bunch of car was systems once using PLCs and did put in a back-door way of getting a free car wash for himself (sensor code pattern that triggered it). In his back door, he also included a defeat of the sensor that counted cars, so they never saw his nighttime freebies. o_O

Last edited:
Interestingly, the guy seemed to be unaware that the machine had a camera filming him...

Somehow I think this all started with a drunken conversation in a pub...

I "know a guy" who did a bunch of car was systems once using PLCs and did put in a back-door way of getting a free car wash for himself (sensor code pattern that triggered it). In his back door, he also included a defeat of the sensor that counted cars, so they never saw his nighttime freebies. o_O

I mean, is that worth the risk for a car wash that costs $15 - $5 dollars?

Sometimes what appears stupid is actually brilliant. If he put on some makeup, police will never know what he really looks like and will keep looking for someone like this!

Interestingly, the guy seemed to be unaware that the machine had a camera filming him...

Somehow I think this all started with a drunken conversation in a pub...

Or some news website telling HOW TO DO IT!
...believes the man used a $20 bill that was coated in plastic and attached to something similar to fishing line. The suspect entered the coated $20 bill 35 times and voided each car wash purchase to trigger a refund from the machine.

I'm hoping if it was someone on the boards here, they would do better than this.

Dollar bill on a fishing line is old. It was proceeded by long time by coin on a wire. Inflation you know.

Any twit can watch YouTube videos of how to do this. At least the guy who added a backdoor to get a free car wash had some skill.

Back
Top Bottom