PLC solution for intelligent home

prebenh

Hi all

I'm considering installing a PLC solution in my home to control lots of different things.

What I had in mind to begin with was a distributed solution for controlling the light in my living room and the kitchen. Next a heating control for the air solar panel and the heat mover. That includes measuring the temperature in the solar panel and the living room.

Since the kithcen lights are connected to one phase and the living room is connected to another phase. To keep the 230V breakers in place I thought about using a 230V PLC. And to Therefore - to not mix up the phases in the building I would use two PLC's connected by a bus. - the living room light needs to be controllable from the kitchen as well as the living room.

Next I need a DC PLC to measure the analog input from the temperature sensors in the living room and the air solar panel.

I've been thinking about the easy 800 series from Moeller Electric or the Mitsubishi Alpha series (seem that they only connect through ASi as slaves and not master) or maybe FX1S series. They are low cost solutions (which is important for me).

I would also like to be able to extend the system with a monitor (maybe even touchscreen), (a remote control) network with website interface and last but not least sms service.
Measurement of wind speed, temperature in each room, district heating usage and so on.

Idea's are very welcome.

I'm also thinking about a "low-cost" main PLC with a monitor and some distributed relays and I/O's connected to a bus. However this seems like the expensive solution compared to the other solutions I suggested. But maybe I'm wrong.
I wan't it distributed because it will lower the amount of cables used significantly. And I don't want my scullery filled with cables all over.

There are several systems for intelligent house control. However their possibilities are limited and the solutions are expensive. And besides learning a bit of PLC's would be nice as well.

Best regards

PLC newbie Preben

First, stay away from the FX1S series PLC's. While a nice little PLC (and cheap), they can't be expanded. My place uses a FX1N-40MT PLC, along with a FX1N-8EYR relay output expansion module and a FX2N-8AD analog input module. The 8AN can measure type T, J, K & E thermocouples directly in either C or F to 0.1 degrees (nice). I run my solar air heater system with it along with my primary heating/cooling system. Has been nice. I don't do any lighting control, but it does run a number of fans. I measure and collect data from indoors, outdoors, solar, basement, garage, alarms and keep track of the rain (0.01" increments), wind speed and system runtimes. I use a Beijer E710 touchscreen for my graphics and trend interface. Been a lot of fun, very educational and has saved me money on heating and cooling. But I wouldn't call it cheap!
Besides the equipment, you need the software to do the programming....
System has been online since 2001. PS: the FX1N is 24vdc powered and has
24 24vdc inputs and 16 24vdc outputs (I use relays, good 'ol eBay)..

If I had to choose a PLC then I too would look at the Moeller 800 and MFD range (MFD is a combined 800 and display screen). But to be honest PLCs are not really designed to for home use, you will always be having to make things fit or work. I think you would be better going for a system designed for home automation. I know that it is getting old but the X10 system is very flexible and can do all that you are asking. And what is more you can start with a simple system and then add to it as you like.

Have a look at these web sites for X10 and others:
http://www.letsautomate.com/
http://www.habitek.co.uk/

Bryan

As far as relays go, I've just used whatever is cheap through eBay. I must agree with BryanG tho. PLC's aren't the best system for home use. The X10 system might be a lot better. However, I will say this for the PLC:
It holds up really well over most equipment based for home useage !!
For 240v and 480vac sources, I've just driven larger relays with the little ones. Not very elegant, but it works.

I just installed a CLICK PLC from automation direct in my own home. PLC with power supply for $100. They do have an analog version for a little more money which could monitor temperature. The system is expandable and has communication options. C-more display for under $200. With the relay modules you could control both the DC and the higher voltage.
I'm using my CLICK to operate my furnace in a more intelligent manner, but the temperature and humidity readings are done with standard thermostat/humidistat dry contacts.