Code 16#0113 Connection request error: Module connection limit exceeded

matatata

Hello

I am working on a furnace, it has a decent amount of I/O. I've tried to add some kind of recorder to my system but im getting this message :Code 16#0113 Connection request error: Module connection limit exceeded:. I've tried connecting recorder to other communication card that was empty but still had they same error, i tried increasing RPI, but no luck. Cards in question are 1756-EN2T.

Before posting here i tried to look on rockwell support and here, but this problem isnt that often.

some kind of recorder to my system

What kind of recorder ?

Is this a Rockwell device, or a device with an Add-On Profile, or a device with an EDS file, or a Generic Ethernet device ?

While all of those use the same protocols to establish an I/O connection, they get their configuration information in a different way, so the diagnostic methods might be different.

In general that error code will be reported to the ControlLogix when it tries to make a connection to a device that doesn't support multiple connections, or that doesn't support the type of connection you're trying to make (like a listen-only or a Redundant connection).

What kind of recorder ?

Is this a Rockwell device, or a device with an Add-On Profile, or a device with an EDS file, or a Generic Ethernet device ?

While all of those use the same protocols to establish an I/O connection, they get their configuration information in a different way, so the diagnostic methods might be different.

In general that error code will be reported to the ControlLogix when it tries to make a connection to a device that doesn't support multiple connections, or that doesn't support the type of connection you're trying to make (like a listen-only or a Redundant connection).

6180 Aerodaq recorder - in the manual for the recorder, there is a guide for connecting it with allen bradley plc. im using a generic ethernet device as instructed by the manual.

Thanks for that information.

Can you point to the Aerodaq RSLogix 5000 example code or reference manual ?

Does the Aerodaq module have an existing connection to another controller ?

Is it simultaneously connected to another software package ?

Are you also sending MSG instructions to the Aerodaq module ?

Do you have the Aerodaq module in the I/O tree via more than one 1756-EN2T module ?

In general, this error code really does mean that the Aerodaq module is rejecting the connection request because it thinks its connection resources are used up.

Thanks for that information.

Can you point to the Aerodaq RSLogix 5000 example code or reference manual ?

- Manual in question from Page 199 - https://www.eurotherm.com/index.php?route=module/downloads/get&download_id=151

Does the Aerodaq module have an existing connection to another controller ?

- No, it is connected to stratix 9000 which is connected to a plc

Is it simultaneously connected to another software package ?

- No

Are you also sending MSG instructions to the Aerodaq module ?

- Im not sending anything, i've just tried to add it to my I/O list and i get this error

Do you have the Aerodaq module in the I/O tree via more than one 1756-EN2T module ?

- Dont understand this question, i added it to a 1756-EN2t module once, if that is your question.

In general, this error code really does mean that the Aerodaq module is rejecting the connection request because it thinks its connection resources are used up.

- Ok, i will try to check recorder a bit more

Ken Roach said:
...In general, this error code really does mean that the Aerodaq module is rejecting the connection request because it thinks its connection resources are used up.

Hi Ken,

From memory, I think the error code might be referring to the connections in the 1756-EN2T modules as being maxed out, and not the recorder module itself?

The 1756-EN2T has available 128 TCP and 256 CIP connections. I definitely know that because I have one in a project in front of me now. Whether this recorder module is actually tipping the EN2T modules over their connection limit or not, would require us knowing more about the existing I/O Configuration. If it did, it means both the tried EN2T modules must already be heavily loaded, else the generic module configuration is throwing some crazy numbers at them?

Regards,
George

I checked the recorder further and was able to enable communication and now it works fine, thanks for this tip. o_Oo_O

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community, BTJ.

It would be preferable to start a new thread for your RFID reader, especially since the solution to the original problem was specific to enabling the EtherNet/IP comms features of the data recorder.

Go to the main Q&A page, and click the green "Start a New Thread" button.

Post the type and revision of ControlLogix you're using, and some details about the RFID reader.

In general, the 16#0204 error code indicates that the device can't make an EtherNet/IP I/O connection at all. Often that's because the device isn't communicating on the network at all (it's disconnected or not at the correct IP address) or it means that the EtherNet/IP protocol is not supported or is not active on the device.

PING is the first tool you should use, but I really like TCPING (www.elifulkerson.com) because you can specifically test a connection to TCP Port 44818, which is used by all EtherNet/IP devices.