Kinetix 300 drive enable signal

unsaint32

I saw a PLC program rung with two outputs in parallel, both for enabling Kinetix 300 drive. One was the structured data bit (Kinetix300:O.DriveEnable), the other was digital output address that is wired to digital input of the Kinetix 300 for drive enable.

Why use both methods to enable the drive? For redundancy? Do I congiure the drive for the enable signal source?

I saw a PLC program rung with two outputs in parallel, both for enabling Kinetix 300 drive. One was the structured data bit (Kinetix300:O.DriveEnable), the other was digital output address that is wired to digital input of the Kinetix 300 for drive enable.

Why use both methods to enable the drive? For redundancy? Do I congiure the drive for the enable signal source?

The Kinetix 300 needs 24vdc on pin 29 and ground on pin 26 to allow it to be enabled via software. Then you can use the output O.DriveEnable to enable or disable the drive. Some people use a digital output to put 24vsc on pin 29. Others, myself included, put 24vdc directly on this pin and then use the output O.DriveEnable to enable and disable the drive.

The Kinetix 300 can be enabled in a number of different ways depending on its configuration, for instance you can configure it so that simply applying 24vdc to pin 29 will enable the drive. This would mean that you could use a single digital output to enable/disable the drive.

Based on the way you described your logic, the person who programmed it is using a combination of a digital output to enable pin 29 and then enabling the drive via Ethernet using O.DriveEnable.

Please not that there must be 24vdc between pin 29 and pin 26 or the drive will not enable. There is no way to bypass this hardware enable. (See KnowledgeBase Access Level: TechConnect).

Regards
Ian