Delta V with S7 300 CPU via Profifbus

teh

Supporting Member
Dear Folk,

Can somebody give me the idea / advise on how to configure the CPU 315-2DP ( Slave ) to talk to Emerson Delta V via Profibus DP.

How to configure it?

i have try configure it at hardware configuration, but fail.

Can it just direct talk with s7 300 CPU?

or

I need additional CP 342?

Regards

nonuke
He needs no GSD from Siemens side since S7 is slave. GSD file shuld be loaded into Delta V since thats Profibus master!

I saw similar topic in this forum. Find it, JesperMP gives link to Siemens Support page that may be very helpfull.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have been successful in establishing communication between Delta V and S7 314 PLC. Now I am trying on S7 313C with CP 342 DP slave.
Ramesh

Hi Folks,

I have success link between both ( Delta V , master Siemens , Slave Via Profibus ).

Following is some documentation going share with u guy..

General requirements

the following needs to set up in the PLC:
  • Baudrate ( max. 1.5Mbps)
  • DP-Slave Address ( 2..126)
  • Slot Addresses (1..32)
  • The slot configuration for the application

Configuration Parameters

Slot Configuration

In DeltaV first 3 slots are to be created for 1st, 2nd and 3rd general ID and are reserved. These 3 slots with no I/O signals are required to be configured in DeltaV for housekeeping purposes. These slots are not configured in the PLC. DeltaV user data slots start at slot 4. PLC user data definition starts from slot 1. The slots assignments for the user data in DeltaV and the PLC must match.

Tables 3.1 and 3.2 describe the various slot types that can be configured. The slot definition comprises of 3 parts: part 1 defines the direction of data transfer, I stands for Input and Q stands for Output, part 2 defines the slot length and part 3 defines the data format. E.g. Slot definition Master_I Slave_Q 4 B tot lgth means this is Input to Master and Output(Q) from Slave and has 4 Bytes of total length.

DeltaV Output Slot configuration

Slot configuration limiting values

In DeltaV maximum of 32 slots per PLC for user data exchange can be configured starting from Slot 4 to Slot 35. These Slots can be freely mixed. However the same sequence and slot type should be available on the PLC for communication to be established and these are numbered from 1 to 32. Following table lists the maximum data exchange for a PLC over Profibus.

Description

Limit

Maximum number of Slots per CPU

Maximum length of data per Slot

32 Bytes

Maximum number of Input bytes per CPU

244 Bytes

Maximum number of Output bytes per CPU

244 Bytes

Data Types Supported

As described in the earlier tables DeltaV can exchange range of different data formats with the PLC. All the data types in DeltaV are supported by S7-PLC. The various data types can be freely mixed in a given slot. Analogue values in Floating point format and digital signal combined as bit coded byte or word can be mixed in one slot.

Data word bit order

If digital signals are stored in the data words in Data Blocks in PLC and exchanged over the Profibus care should be taken as construction of data word is different. Please note the byte offset while accessing this digital information. The PLC accesses the bytes in Data word DW0 as DB0 and DB1 where as those are Byte offset 1 and 0 respectively. Following diagram shows the sequence of bits in a data word.

DW0

DB0

DB1

Note: When such bit combinations are used confirm this with the PLC programmer about the byte offset.

PLC Memory allocation

The CPU of the PLC operating as a DP-Slave provides an intermediate memory for the data exchange. Up to 32 Address areas (slots) can be configured using Siemens Programming tool. That is, DeltaV writes its data to these intermediate memory address areas (slots) and CPU reads this data in its user program and vice-versa.

Following table shows the principle of address areas (slots) This is done using Siemens Programming tool.

Type

Master Address

Type

Slave Address

Length

Unit

Consistency

I

Q

Byte

Unit

Q

I

Word

Total length

Address Areas in the DeltaV

Address Areas in the DP Slave CPU

These address area parameters must be identical to DeltaV Slot definition

In the PLC configuration 32 slots can defined for user data exchange and they need to match DeltaV configuration. The Type I stands for Input and Q stands for Output. Output from DeltaV is Input to PLC and vice-versa. While assigning Master Addresses continuous addressing is to be defined for Inputs and Outputs. These addresses are not significant for DeltaV as there are no Address areas in the DeltaV.

Note : When the CPU of the PLC goes to STOP mode, data in the CPU intermediate memory are overwritten with “0” that is, DeltaV reads its inputs as “0”. However when the Profibus communication stops the CPU intermediate memory is maintained and the CPU uses the stale data. Therefore it is advised to have a life signal in the communication which takes care of this issue.

Configuration Rules

The following rules apply:
  1. It is mandatory to ensure the PLC and DeltaV slot configurations are identical (see section 3.1)
  2. Integer and floating point signals held in PLC data blocks must start on an even number byte offset. Values held in byte oriented memory can start on any byte.
  3. It is not necessary to configure all signals in DeltaV.

Configuring DeltaV

The following steps are required to configure an instance of a PLC in the DeltaV I/O database:

1. Select the GSD file corresponding to the S7 hardware model from the Siemens internet site (see section 2.3)
  2. Add the S7 device to the DeltaV Profibus library
  3. Create an instance of a device on a Profibus I/O port
  4. Add slots to the device to match the PLC slot configuration
  5. Add the required signals to the slots.

An example of a DeltaV configuration is given in section 4.

Error reporting and recovery

In case of communication failure the status of the DST is set to BADNOCOM and it can be used in the Control Module for interlocking.

Recovery of communication with the PLC is automatic.

Dear Teh,
You documentation was very useful and I have been able to establish communication between 6 PLCs and the Delta V DCS. The only mistake I was doing was I was using the first slot of the DCS whereas it should have been the fourth slot. Rightly said by you, the first three slots are fixed and do not have any information.

Now, only one PLC is left. I will contact you further, if required.
Thanks again.
Ramesh

Hi Folks,

I have success link between both ( Delta V , master Siemens , Slave Via Profibus ).

Following is some documentation going share with u guy..

General requirements

the following needs to set up in the PLC:
  • Baudrate ( max. 1.5Mbps)
  • DP-Slave Address ( 2..126)
  • Slot Addresses (1..32)
  • The slot configuration for the application

Configuration Parameters

Slot Configuration

In DeltaV first 3 slots are to be created for 1st, 2nd and 3rd general ID and are reserved. These 3 slots with no I/O signals are required to be configured in DeltaV for housekeeping purposes. These slots are not configured in the PLC. DeltaV user data slots start at slot 4. PLC user data definition starts from slot 1. The slots assignments for the user data in DeltaV and the PLC must match.

Tables 3.1 and 3.2 describe the various slot types that can be configured. The slot definition comprises of 3 parts: part 1 defines the direction of data transfer, I stands for Input and Q stands for Output, part 2 defines the slot length and part 3 defines the data format. E.g. Slot definition Master_I Slave_Q 4 B tot lgth means this is Input to Master and Output(Q) from Slave and has 4 Bytes of total length.

DeltaV Output Slot configuration

Slot configuration limiting values

In DeltaV maximum of 32 slots per PLC for user data exchange can be configured starting from Slot 4 to Slot 35. These Slots can be freely mixed. However the same sequence and slot type should be available on the PLC for communication to be established and these are numbered from 1 to 32. Following table lists the maximum data exchange for a PLC over Profibus.

Description

Limit

Maximum number of Slots per CPU

Maximum length of data per Slot

32 Bytes

Maximum number of Input bytes per CPU

244 Bytes

Maximum number of Output bytes per CPU

244 Bytes

Data Types Supported

As described in the earlier tables DeltaV can exchange range of different data formats with the PLC. All the data types in DeltaV are supported by S7-PLC. The various data types can be freely mixed in a given slot. Analogue values in Floating point format and digital signal combined as bit coded byte or word can be mixed in one slot.

Data word bit order

If digital signals are stored in the data words in Data Blocks in PLC and exchanged over the Profibus care should be taken as construction of data word is different. Please note the byte offset while accessing this digital information. The PLC accesses the bytes in Data word DW0 as DB0 and DB1 where as those are Byte offset 1 and 0 respectively. Following diagram shows the sequence of bits in a data word.

DW0

DB0

DB1

Note: When such bit combinations are used confirm this with the PLC programmer about the byte offset.

PLC Memory allocation

The CPU of the PLC operating as a DP-Slave provides an intermediate memory for the data exchange. Up to 32 Address areas (slots) can be configured using Siemens Programming tool. That is, DeltaV writes its data to these intermediate memory address areas (slots) and CPU reads this data in its user program and vice-versa.

Following table shows the principle of address areas (slots) This is done using Siemens Programming tool.

Type

Master Address

Type

Slave Address

Length

Unit

Consistency

I

Q

Byte

Unit

Q

I

Word

Total length

Address Areas in the DeltaV

Address Areas in the DP Slave CPU

These address area parameters must be identical to DeltaV Slot definition

In the PLC configuration 32 slots can defined for user data exchange and they need to match DeltaV configuration. The Type I stands for Input and Q stands for Output. Output from DeltaV is Input to PLC and vice-versa. While assigning Master Addresses continuous addressing is to be defined for Inputs and Outputs. These addresses are not significant for DeltaV as there are no Address areas in the DeltaV.

Note : When the CPU of the PLC goes to STOP mode, data in the CPU intermediate memory are overwritten with “0” that is, DeltaV reads its inputs as “0”. However when the Profibus communication stops the CPU intermediate memory is maintained and the CPU uses the stale data. Therefore it is advised to have a life signal in the communication which takes care of this issue.

Configuration Rules

The following rules apply:
  1. It is mandatory to ensure the PLC and DeltaV slot configurations are identical (see section 3.1)
  2. Integer and floating point signals held in PLC data blocks must start on an even number byte offset. Values held in byte oriented memory can start on any byte.
  3. It is not necessary to configure all signals in DeltaV.

Configuring DeltaV

The following steps are required to configure an instance of a PLC in the DeltaV I/O database:

1. Select the GSD file corresponding to the S7 hardware model from the Siemens internet site (see section 2.3)
  2. Add the S7 device to the DeltaV Profibus library
  3. Create an instance of a device on a Profibus I/O port
  4. Add slots to the device to match the PLC slot configuration
  5. Add the required signals to the slots.

An example of a DeltaV configuration is given in section 4.

Error reporting and recovery

In case of communication failure the status of the DST is set to BADNOCOM and it can be used in the Control Module for interlocking.

Recovery of communication with the PLC is automatic.
Hi Teh, I was looking at your old reply in relation to DeltaV communication to a Siemens profibus slave and you refer to sections in a document but I can't find section 4 in S7-300.doc file (example of the DeltaV configuration as the Master). Can you please send it on.