Siemens Logo

Johnny Rotten

Firstly, promise won't ramble on about WWI or WW(whatever).

Took the Siemens Logo course today. The course included the sofware, 120V Relay unit, and cable. The Relay unit has 8 digital inputs and 4 digital relay outputs at 10 Amps each.

It is upgradeable to 24 inputs, 12 outputs - max.

The software was amazing. We programmed in block which was different. Switching between block and RLL is one button.

Jumping the gun, I pulled the unit out and hooked it up to the PC - only to find out that is not needed. It can do full simulation through the software. It works very well.

Thinking back to all the time spent building a PLC simulator. How can any PLC manufacturer not include that in their software? The guy sitting beside me was an A/B guy, and yes A/B can do that as well, - after you pay $1700.00 Cdn. for the initial package and much much more for the ability to Simulate your programme. AD/Siemens would probably be the same, and Siemens is making the Logo. So what is the deal?

Cost of course $200.00 Cdn.

Siemens seems to be going for the 'break even' attitude on this deal just to get this into peoples hands. It works.

Well done Siemens - just put the Simulation into every software package.

Anyone could use this Logo software to write simple programmes, test them, and not touch a tool. Just change it to AD/AB, or whatever.

Johnny

and Siemens is making the Logo.

Actually they dont, they brand label it as do AB and others. I dont remember all the details but I think Rockwell purchased the company that makes the programmable relays when they purchased the Guardmaster plc and other safety products..ie light curtains etc.

All this happened several years ago so not sure about all the details but the Logo, AB Pico, Moeller Easy and more are the same unit. Its possible to use software from other companies to program these units. As far as I know they all offer simulation.

AB has a new downloadable version of Picosoft here:
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/pico/picosoft.html

Last edited:
Siemens actually makes the Logo. A/B and others do stamp their name on similar. Maybe someone could expand on that...

'It is upgradeable to 24 inputs, 12 outputs - max'

Correction 16 outputs max - sounds like a DL06.

Johnny

Last edited:
I'm quite sure the Logo is not interchangable with the Pico/Easy. The AB Pico and Moeller Easy are identical except for the name printed on the front. And the pricetag... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

Personal opinion all these smart relays are a waste of money.

We have had this discussion before but it was a long time ago. I dont know about now but at one time the LOGO, PICO and EASY were the same unit made by one company which was NOT Siemens, AB or Moeller.

Hi Guys;

I just had to put my 2 cents in on this one... Siemens came out with the LOGO about 5-6 years ago for a test. Then low and behold K-M came out with their EASY. But their Easy had Analog... Then Siemens put analog on theirs but also added more function blocks... To make a long story short there has been more than one generation of the LOGO. Right now they are in #6... With software that you can program in Bolan or Ladder Logic, expandable modules, full voltage range both AC/DC, Analog in and out and function blocks for everyday applications.. eg. real time clock, Cam timers, ect...
Now every manufactor is trying to have a "Micro Programmable Relay" So what better complament can you get then to have a product that every one else is trying to copy ????
If you would like to see the new generation I found it here...

http://www2.automation.siemens.com/logo/html_76/highlights.htm

By the way I do not work for Siemens just work with da stuff...

rsdoran said:
Personal opinion all these smart relays are a waste of money.

I coulnt agree more. I did some research on these a while back and found that they are very limited and cost no less then a DL-05, or DL-06 in many cases/applications (unless your buying hundreds at a time). The only benifit is the abilty to program them with out a PC, which dosnt mean much to me.

Logo Programming

Hi could you please help me out,

I'm trying to use the logo to control a level sensing device namely the adxl150 .The output of the device is a varying voltage which changes relative to the angle of tilt of the device. The output can swing from 0-3.8or 4.5 volts depending on whose information you choose to follow.
From what Ive read on the siemens website (product info section ) there is a built in function that allows scaling an analogue input to give an output whose magnitude is some factor of the input.
You only mentioned the digital inputs but I believe two of them can be used as analogue inputs I7 and I8 I belive.
what I need to understand is what magnitude of voltage needs to be applied for the LOGO to register a reading, what is better digital or analogue input .Also since the input is a varying signal how will the cycle time of the LOGO affect signals at the input and how will this affect giving a reading .I think the voltage will have to be held at a level for some time ,probably by adding a resistor/capacitor somehow with a suitable time constant .I intend to show the angle of incline on the logo display .Thanks for your patience if you took time to read this I know it 's a bit muddled.I will gladly post the results after Ive arrived at a solution

The writeup says 0-5 volts is low and above is high a bit confusing foor me .dont quote me on that though as Im trying to write from memory and I only read this once

Johnny Rotten said:
Siemens actually makes the Logo.

I always thought that it was Moeller.

Actually, I would bet your next paycheck on it.

But I could be wrong, and also Siemens could have bought it.

When I was at Siemens (up to 1/19/06), the LOGO was not something to be mentioned!

However, that piec of waste SimoCode was sure popular.

I guess you would call it a "Smart Module" that sensed currents, etc.

I haven't used a Logo yet, but I could swear a sales rep showed one to me around 1998. I think it had 6 IO? I was under the impression that it was developed and made by Siemens. It was a nice concept, but it really lost its attraction as full blown micro-PLC prices plummeted.

I remember the Klockner-Moeller unit with 8 I/O from 97 or 98 at the automation show in McCormack Place in Chicago. They had a blonde spokesmodel from the east coast. I was disappointed, as I had wanted to see the freckled strawberry blonde from the ads, but she was in Germany and didn't/couldn't travel.

I didn't see any other brands myself until around 2002 or 2003.

This obviously does not include the infamous GE Smart Relay, which was also 8 I/O.

Norm probably has a definitive answer on this Chicken and Egg / Mother Hen contraversy.

http://support.automation.siemens.c...iew/en/24786764

https://www.automation.siemens.com/...tml?HTTPS=REDIR

Hello guys does anyone mind giving me a short tutorial ?
The links above are for the siemens website application examples for the logo 12/24Rc
Of interest to me is the program example for
1)*Heating Control*
2)And scaling of 4-20mA sensor
3)Storing Analog min max values

I dont understand what the symbols used in the FBD mean and what they are doing there .
If you can spare the time I would appreciate it.

Regards

Wayne

Siemens makes the Logo. Idec buys the Logo from Siemens and sells it as Smart Relay. The original Crouzet Millenium was a Mitsubishi Alpha rebranded. The newer Millenium units are not Mitsubishi units.

AB's Pico looks a lot in program and function like the original Square D Zelio. But that has also gone through several revisions.

Basically, there's little difference other than the brand logo and software. Everybody offers one, and the feature sets have become quite identical in the newer versions.

The original Logo is from 1998, had 6 inputs and 4 outputs.