Controllogix major fault codes

Faults.JPG

Don't forget that the GSV is a scanned instruction - it does nothing if not scanned.

If you have a major fault, the logic stops, and therefore the GSV will not execute. The HMI would not read the value.

I find it best to just monitor the communication with a handshake, then if an alarm comes in, someone goes online to interrogate the reason for the disruption.
Also realize that when the major fault is cleared, the process will resume. Be sure that you have a fault routine that sets the process in a safe mode.

Yes, but if your controller is not communicating, does it respond to data requests? I don't believe so.

In my fault routine I bring a bit on to indicate controller fault, this gets communicated to the HMI without problem. I have faulted the controller a number of times but I never see any change in the major fault bits!!!What am I doing wrong?

It would help if you told us more about your logic. Are you using a Program Fault Routine or a Controller Fault Handler? Where is the GSV instruction? What are the parameters? Did you create a User Defined data type? Is there any logic preceding the GSV preventing it from executing?

You must place the GSV instruction in the fault routine to handle "program" faults or in the Controller Fault Handler to handle other faults including loss of critical I/O.

Also you need to select "PROGRAM" for the GSV class parameter and "MAJORFAULTRECORD" for the Attribute. "This" will work for detecting faults in "this" program or in the controller fault handler.

Also, make certain that if you are using the COntroller Fault Handler that you specify your routine as a Main Routine, NOT a fault routine.

OG