Allen Bradley SLC500 EZtouch beginner

plcguy7

Hello. I have been using A slc 500 for about a year now and want to expand my knowledge. I bought a used EZtouch screen from Ebay and wanted to use it for a home automation system. Basically to turn lights on and off in my workshop. What logic is needed to have the screen talk to the slc 500? I have the manual for the screen and it talks about tags which i am confused about? Can some one show / explain a simple example to me?
Thanks

Start with the PLC first. You will program it to turn things on and off. After that is done then you will design the display program. You will be able to export the 'tags'.

Using B3:0/0 in RSLogix500 as ON-OFF logic FROM EZTouch screen.

Code:
 XIC B3:0/0 OTE O:2.0/0

jrwb4gbm, Your example is great. This looks simpler than i thought. Just to clarify, the PLC just needs a bit to turn on each light? Is there any communication setup on the PLC so it knows there is a serial input for that bit?

The only setup I have used is where the PLC had a RS232 serial port and the EZTouch screen had a RS232 serial port. In the EZTouch programming software, when the project is first started, there is a PLC choice that must be set. In your PLC the comms should be DF1 when using a RS232 serial port. The EZTouch configures itself to the SLC500 by those choices. The bit, B3:0/0 in the example, can take the place of a real hardware input. You can write the logic to include both if you need it.

Is there any communication setup on the PLC so it knows there is a serial input for that bit?

Yes, the PLC will have a communication channel set up to communicate with the EZTouch. If it is a serial connection, in RSLogix look under channel configuration for Channel 0. Make sure that the baud rates match in both your RSLogix file and the EZTouch program, and you should be good to go.

EDIT: And what jrwb4gbm said above about Df1.

I set up my plc and screen as jrwb4gbm example and i am getting a "PLC MSG TIMEOUT CMD = A2" which looks like a write command error? Any thoughts where i messed up?
Thanks

Please don't take this post as being harsh, we just can't physically see your setup. It's time to ask for specific details. What are the exact model numbers, series numbers, firmware numbers, etc. of all the hardware devices? What exact software and version numbers are you using? Are you using serial ports like we mentioned or something else? If you are using serial ports, are you using a straight thru cable or a null modem cable? Good exact answers to these questions will go a long way toward solving the problem.

I thought you might need some details.
SLC 500 with 5/04 cpu
automation direct ez-s8c-f firm ware D.4

I am using serial communications DF1 full duplex
baud rate 19200
parity EVEN

My cable is EZ-scl-232-cbl wired as:
9 pin 15pin
3----------3
2----------2
5----------5
shield--1

Does that help?
Thanks

Its always the simple things that make the biggest problems. I changed the parity to none and it is alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the help!!!!
This is a great forum with wonderful people!!!