AB MPL Servo Motor Signals

Archie

What is the difference between the Index+/- signals and the ABS signal shown in the pinout of the MPL-xxxxx-xx2xxx series servo motors ?

Using these motors with a Kinetix 300 servo drive and I do not see a corresponding signal for the ABS from the motor.

MPLPinout.png

Last edited:
You have incremental encoder feedback on that motor (MPL-xxxxx-Hx2xAx)? I didn't think anyone did that anymore.

As far as I can tell there isn't anywhere to go with that signal on the K300.

Keith

But what is the ABS signal? I thought it was an Absolute position or zero, but the encoder already has an Index that serves that purpose.

Take a look at page 9 of this manual:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1398-rm007_-en-p.pdf

It looks like this may be a carry-over to support replacement of H-series motors used with drives that were designed to run H-series motors using the ABS signal. It is effectively an analog commutation signal that would allow a drive that can use it to immediately commutate a motor with incremental feedback without having to pass the encoder through the index pulse. it wouldn't be used with a K300 drive.

Keith