Quick question: Discrete IO does not need Block Transfer

ckchew666

Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but just want to confirm that the discrete IO does not require Block Transfer, right?

Block transfer from Flex IO to PLC5.

I don't have hardware to figure it out....anyone can throw in some feedback? Thanks.

No, Discrete I/O falls within the normal slot addressing range of PLC5 Remote I/O, so it doesn't need block transfer.

Block transfers are needed when you need to transfer more than one machine word from a slot.

Block transfers are needed when you need to transfer more than one machine word from a slot.
Just a small correction.
With "1/2-slot" addressing, 2 words are assigned per slot.
So you can access up to 32 digital io per slot without blocktransfers.

Because of the particular addressing scheme with RIO, a degree of planning ahead is a good idea when specifying remote io modules.
For example, mixing many 8 point modules with a few 32 point modules in the same rack will be a waste of address space.

Thx for the replies.

BTW, I use one slot addressing with 32 points in Flex IO, provided i arrange them 1 Input, 1 output, 1 input, 1 output. Am i right? So, the ASB can accomodate 4 32 points module.

JesperMP said:
Just a small correction.
With "1/2-slot" addressing, 2 words are assigned per slot.
So you can access up to 32 digital io per slot without blocktransfers.

Because of the particular addressing scheme with RIO, a degree of planning ahead is a good idea when specifying remote io modules.
For example, mixing many 8 point modules with a few 32 point modules in the same rack will be a waste of address space.

If I have 2 Flex IO adapter connecting to the PLC 5, can 1 Flex adapter set to 1/2 slot addressing and another set to 1 slot addressing?

Yes you can mix and match the addressing modes, but I usually recommend against it just to make troubleshooting easier.

Also, your arrangment of I/O (Input/Output/Input/Output) is exactly what is required for the 32-point and 1/2 slot addressing.

OG

Operaghost said:
Yes you can mix and match the addressing modes, but I usually recommend against it just to make troubleshooting easier.

Also, your arrangment of I/O (Input/Output/Input/Output) is exactly what is required for the 32-point and 1/2 slot addressing.

OG

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I taught (INPUT/OUTPUT/INPUT/OUTPUT) arrangement (32 discrete) is the arrangement for 1 slot addressing?

If we use 1/2 slot addressing we can put (INPUT/INPUT/OUTPUT/OUTPUT)? Yes? No?

Thanks.

No. On the 5's, 1 slot addressing allows for one word per slot. That is the most universal, as it allows for a complete mix and match of input and output modules. Remember, the PLC 5 series is based on R/G/S addressing. The 'R' as Rack is obvious. The 'G' part, (group) is less so; the 'S' part is the actual slot in the group (and can be 0 or 1).

I actually typed a lot here, explaining the difference, but frankly, I've forgotten, as I always use one slot mode. The PLC5 offers 1 slot, 1/2 slot, and I believe 2 slot addressing. Looking them up in the manual will define them better than what I was typing (and prevent me from looking like a fool (unless a true AB Guru like Ken, Opera, or Jesper reply )) <smile>

I know how you feel rdrast...it all kind of runs together. I almost always use 1-slot, but every once in a while the others pop up.

Here's a little summary:

2-slot
======
8-point any card any where (designed for this method)
16-point must alternate
32-point not allowed

1-slot
======
8-point any card any where (poor use of memory)
16-point any card any where (designed for this method)
32-point must alternate

1/2-slot
========
16-point any card any where (poor use of memory)
32-point any card any where (designed for this method)

OG

Operaghost said:
I know how you feel rdrast...it all kind of runs together. I almost always use 1-slot, but every once in a while the others pop up.

Here's a little summary:

2-slot
======
8-point any card any where (designed for this method)
16-point must alternate
32-point not allowed

1-slot
======
16-point any card any where (designed for this method)
32-point must alternate

1/2-slot
========
16-point any card any where (poor use of memory)
32-point any card any where (designed for this method)

OG

OG,

Thx for ur summary :) Now it's clearer.

My colleaque just came back from the site (PLC-5 to Flex IO installed).

The told me that the PLC-5 RIO port is linked to the Flex IO as (ASB/IA16/IA16/OA16/OB32/OB32/IB32/IB32) <-- jst ONE ASB

Does this settings means the PLC-5 & Flex IO is using 1/2 slot addressing and the it's divided into two RACK?

1/2 slot, RACK 1 = IA16/IA16/OA16/OB32
1/2 slot, Rack 2 = OB32/IB32/IB32

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, we never play around with 32 pts module before :)

Thanks.

JesperMP said:
Yes, it must be configured as 2 racks with 1/2 slot addressing.

Thx for ur confirmation, I do not know it Flex 10 ASB can be configured as 2 rack per ASB :( Too used to 16 pts Flex module with 1 slot addressing :)

Anywhere thx a lot for everyone :)