AI(Machine learning) in Industrial automation

backendcode

Hello everyone, I just started working in an automotive company as a junior control engineer and currently, I am providing a support to a line such as recover robots, and if line stops then find the issues and troubleshoot the line etc.

What do you think is it possible to implement the machine learning on a production line and recover the system it selfs or tell the operator to follow the steps to recover it as long as it is not an equipment/hardware issue.

I was just wondering if someone has implemented the machine learning in automation industry or no and where do you see machine learning in the automation industry.

Thank you,

Machine learning shouldn't be necessary if all you want to do is what you state in your first paragraph. The software that stopped the machine should tell you why. Obviously there is an error condition. There just needed to be an output that said what that error condition was.

However, machines can use the last cycle to modify what it does on the current cycle. In the late 80s and early 90s we controlled a press that made beer and pop can tops or ends for Coors. The conditions would change as the press warmed up. We had to update the error conditions accordingly. Fixed limits didn't work.

Hello everyone, I just started working in an automotive company as a junior control engineer and currently, I am providing a support to a line such as recover robots, and if line stops then find the issues and troubleshoot the line etc.

What do you think is it possible to implement the machine learning on a production line and recover the system it selfs or tell the operator to follow the steps to recover it as long as it is not an equipment/hardware issue.

I was just wondering if someone has implemented the machine learning in automation industry or no and where do you see machine learning in the automation industry.

The niftiest AI I've seen so far is a weighscale controlling the filling of cans adapting to the process. You change different liquids and it will learn when to stop within two cans to stop filling at the exact same time.

If a machine can fix itself, it would already be doing that. One thing you need to remember is that if the machine has to stop it shouldn't, as per good practices, start by itself. This limitation will make it very hard to achieve something like what you want.

The condition that made the machine stop should be clear to the operator, or failing that a list with the conditions for each alarm available to him or maintenance. A lot of the times, these things are "fixable" by the operator, but they have a bit of trouble with the diagnostics (this is obviously from my experience).

One system I worked on, implemented messaging to the operator with a bit of smarts to it. If the operator tried starting a function or machine that had an interlock on, it would tell the operator what is missing for it to complete the operation.

AI may be useful when conditions randomly change. That is is hardly the case in a controlled production envirnment. Effort should be put into a good diagnostic and alarm system as Peter suggest.
I used to have a similar job as you, backendcode. My goal back then was to make myself unneeded! Provide alarms that give the operators and mechanic guys all information needed to repair or rectify the problem