Beckhoff hardware: decentrated I/O stations

CX_Luigi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Once again I am asking your advice on a matter regarding Beckhoff hardware, specifically a CX1020 embedded PC. I am using this CPU to design a system that could eventually be expanded through EtherCAT, beside connecting at least 2 brushless drives for axis motion. I do not understand well, or perhaps did not get after reading all the documentation in infosys the following: - CX1020 has 2 RJ45 ports on the CPU, can one of this port be configured to act as a EtherCAT connection? Documentation says only the ports "can be" used as such, but are not intended for that use - if the above is not possible, adding an EK1100 interface to the CX will allow me to add other EtherCAT stations? - another question, decidedly OT: if i order a CPU without any TwinCAT runtime, what i need to install to make a plc program run on that hardware?

Looking at the CX1020 documentation, it appears to have two switched Ethernet ports, similar to the CX9020's I've used. They don't recommend using these for EtherCAT--I don't even know how you'd go about configuring them as such since they're switched in hardware--so you should probably take their advice.

You can add an EK1110 (not EK1100) or EK1122 to the CX rack to get your EtherCAT ports. Then use an EK1100 at your remote I/O location(s) to connect EL-series I/O terminals.

Several years ago I have tried using one of the ethernet ports to control some EtherCAT IO and it caused a lot of problems. It became impossible to go online with the controller. I actually had to reformat the flash card and reload the PLC program.

If you order the CX without TwinCAT runtime, then to my knowledge you will not be able to install it yourself. It uses some kind of hardware serial number in the CX to activate.

I have used the CX1020 many times. As I recall, as shipped, the top RJ-45 port is configured for regular "Office LAN" and the bottom port has the EtherCAT driver installed (you see it in Windows). To not confuse them, in Windows - Network form, rename the top NIC as "LAN" and label as such, and the bottom NIC as "ECAT" and label. To know which is which in the Windows screen, plug in only one network cable and Windows will show the cable connected. Of course, you could install the ECAT driver on the top port too, but no need to and might cause issues sharing with normal LAN traffic.

The bottom port works fine for ECAT. I have run it to other rows, connecting to an EK coupler (Archie might have been dealing with a different issue that only appeared due to the port). The only possible disadvantage is that this forms a star network. If you want to employ the "Redundancy" option (2nd path for comm in case of cable failure), all terminals must be in a linear path, meaning you need to come out an end Ecat module (EK1110?), so it flows thru all terminals sequentially.

You need the PLC runtime to make it a PLC. You can add that later, at least in TwinCAT 3. Indeed, you can install on a non-Beckhoff PC, but they will only sell the runtime software as the highest-level license, which is more expensive. A Beckhoff PC, like the CX1020 would probably need to be returned to the factory to have the run-time added, since they probably wouldn't trust you aren't trying to get around their pricing and install on a non-Beckhoff PC.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the replies, it helped a lot making sense of the system configuration. Actually the information was right under my eyes, but due to the relatively disorganized infosys, i went quickly astray.
You need the PLC runtime to make it a PLC. You can add that later, at least in TwinCAT 3. Indeed, you can install on a non-Beckhoff PC, but they will only sell the runtime software as the highest-level license, which is more expensive. A Beckhoff PC, like the CX1020 would probably need to be returned to the factory to have the run-time added, since they probably wouldn't trust you aren't trying to get around their pricing and install on a non-Beckhoff PC.

if i understood well then, Beckhoff embedded pc without runtime are just normal pcs, without chances to use plc logic. I suppose it would be in their interest to sell configurations with runtimes, that by the way are competitively priced against other brands, rather than supply just the bare metal.

Most buy a Beckhoff CX w/ the runtime. They do sell some for as a general industrial PC for other uses, where a customer isn't using Beckhoff I/O and just needs a rugged small PC, but I expect those are rare.