DC Mill Motor--need to find one!

Hi all,

On one of our lines, the recoiler motor is in bad shape, and is about to flash over..just waiting for ir to happen. Maintence hasnt been dont on it for awhile..I dont know why..

But anyways..would anyone know where I can find a DC motor with these specfication..or close to these..

MFG'R: General Electric
HP: 150/187
FRAME: CD1554
RPM: 400/1975
VOLTS: 240/300
AMPS: 520
WOUND: SHUNT
MODEL: EN14344
SEPERATY EXCITED FIELDS @ 60V

Now, we have tried GE, and its not cheap. We have also found some used motors, which we would be rebuiltt, but we are still looking at all the specs. Havent found anything else on the "google search"..So, if anyone have any sugesstion, or knows where I might be able to find a simular or exact motor, PLEASE let let me know..

FYI: the original motors are installed in an early 70's vintage Tin Electro-plating line.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Andrew

That old and that HP it must be almost the size of my Dodge Ram Van. What is the drive? MoGen or something like a Reliance VS?

I suggest throw away what it costs, replace BOTH motor and drive. Depending on situation you may be able to go AC motor/inverter which can save money. Even if using a new DC drive and motor the cost will be offset by reliabilty, service, and support options.

I dont know if you are in the US or not but a good company to talk to is L&S Electric. They are an integrator for Yaskawa/Magnetek, the DSD412 is a good system (replaces the 312 which was good/reliable).

Reliance/AB also make some decent DC drive systems, I have 1336 drives in use I like plus 2 Flexpak 3000 that I salvaged off machinery from a plant that was closed, if any of our presses etc with MoGen (motor generators) ever die or the motors die these will go in.

The 60 and 70's technology for drives worked but it wasnt energy efficient, is harder to troubleshoot, and is not cost effective when it comes to parts and maintenance.

Thanks..

RS,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the drive was replace late last year. All the drive control system was revamped. We have considered replacing the recoiler motor with an AC motor and Drive, but that idea was kiboshed. So, back to looking for a DC motor. Thanks for your wisdom, and I'll try the site you suggested.

Andrew

Try Canara. That is who we deal with. And they are about a 20 minute drive from Burlington.

CANARA MOTOR MANAGEMENT & DISTRIBUTION INC.
(905)578-8883
308 KENORA AVE.
HAMILTON , ONTARIO
L8W 2W3

I have found on motors of 15 horse and above it is cheaper to rewind but you loose your motor for a couple of days. This probably makes rewinding out of the picture. Good Luck

One thing that can help prevent a motor from flashing over is to turn down the voltage (ie: speed) limit on the controller.
Try 50 volts.
I'm not sure why this works but it has saved a couple of motors for me.

Steve.