Your input needed...

hd_coop

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I am working on a SLC 500 Program to control a press. I am using a Promess PC-AMS force monitoring unit which basically just measures force vs position as we are pressing. There will also be a Panelview 700 Plus as well. I would pretty much just like some feedback on my program. It's not really close to being finished but I have the majority there already. All feedback is appreciated but please remember this is just my 3rd program I've written from scratch.

Thanks for your help :)

Josh

Last edited:
Well there are few things that you should
check but one important thing first:

I do not deal with presses but I do know that
there are special requirements regarding
safety on presses and two hand control done
in conventional PLC is definitelly not acceptable
in such applications (nowdays you can also get
"safety PLC" but you should be still very careful).

Do yourself a favour and check with your suppliers
for two hand controller and make sure it is
wired correctly (should cost ca $200).

Do some research first or better hire someone
who does PHSR and ask for recommendations.

btw, nice avatar...

Last edited:
Stupid question but what is a 'mechanical power press"? The press i am working on is a hydraulic press. Is there a difference? Is there a specific section for hydraulic presses?

"Excluded machines. Press brakes, hydraulic and pneumatic power presses, bulldozers, hot bending and hot metal presses, forging presses and hammers, riveting machines and similar types of fastener applicators are excluded from the requirements of this section."

Josh,

I agree with the guys about not using the PLC for two handed control. I looked at your program and some of your comments mention Opto-Touch. I know Banner makes some buttons with this name. They also make a two handed control module that we have used on a press. You can check it out here.

I may be wrong and I probably am but a "mechanical power press" sounds more like something with a fly wheel and mechanical cam which you can not stop very quickly.

Good Morning:

A mechanical power press is a punch press that the power is developed with a flywheel, Pitman, and a slide (ram). The clutch systems on these presses are several types. !) Full revolution: These clutches have a dog that connects the flywheel to the crankshaft. The dog is pulled out at the end of the stroke by a mechanical wedge. 2)Partial revolution: These clutches employ friction clutches often operated by compresses air. The stroke may be interupted at ant point in the revolution. 3)Eddy current clutches These are coupled by magnetic action. These may be stopped at any point in the cycle. I hope this gives you an idea of what they are.