Updating EN2T firmware in production

hobojojo

Hi,

Looking to update EN2T firmware for systems that are in production. We are expecting to lose comms systems that have that card and also to have to reconfigure the IP as we perform the update directly to the card using a USB. Are there any other gotchas? Is it smoother to have replacement cards with the new firmware ready and just do a swap? Thanks

If I had a spare, I would flash it, configure and verify its IP address, then swap it into the previous slot. The connected switches should be updated by ARP in a matter of seconds.

Flash-and-swap limits your downtime to a reboot + ARP update, not to download + flash + reboot.

Then you can update the module you just removed while inserted in a spare slot, then repeat the process.

The EN2T should have sorted out the problems with receiving connection request across the backplane during an update. That used to be why I would remove network and SERCOS cards for flashing, in the v16 era. So the risk is limited to fat thumbs or unpredicted hardware failure (like tripping over the USB cable while getting up for coffee).