OT Windows Server Remote Desktop Services CAL

jkerekes

I know this is a way off topic question, but its for automation. I have a Windows 2008 R2 server that I need Remote Desktop Licenses for. On another server running Windows 2016 server, i have 5 Remote Desktop Licenses. I don't need those licenses on the 2016 server for awhile.

Can I use those licenses from the 2016 server for the 2008 R2 server? How do I go about doing that? Are the licenses compatible? How do i transfer them? Thanks.

I know this is a way off topic question, but its for automation. I have a Windows 2008 R2 server that I need Remote Desktop Licenses for. On another server running Windows 2016 server, i have 5 Remote Desktop Licenses. I don't need those licenses on the 2016 server for awhile.

Can I use those licenses from the 2016 server for the 2008 R2 server? How do I go about doing that? Are the licenses compatible? How do i transfer them? Thanks.

Who knows ! Understanding MS licencing terms even when they are written down is like trying to understand ancient Greek, i usually check with the supplier of the licence where and when it can be used, even then they are not sure all of the time.

I always struggle with Windows licenses. But...are both servers on the same domain or network? I thought you could use the license from the 2016 when accessing the 2008.
Could be wrong, would not be the first time.

The servers are not on a domain, since they're used for automation. But they are on the same network.