USB over IP / Compact Logix USB

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I was looking for USB over IP or even USB over CAT5/6 so that I can use the USB driver in RSLinx over 300'?

Has anyone tried any hardware or USB extenders that would work with Studio 5000 and RSLinx for a Compact Logix PLC.

Thanks,

Paul

Why not use TCP/IP to the Ethernet port ?

Rockwell mentions that the USB port is intended for temporary connections, and not even for permanent connections of things like HMIs or engineering workstations. I've never investigated exactly why they say so, because I've never wanted to connect USB for more than a few minutes to do a firmware install, program load, or network address inspection.

If you've got a controller with one network port but want two, I recommend buying a different controller or installing a router.

Thank you Ken for the reply.

I prefer SD card to do FW and IP on new systems/processors.

I had an SD card set up with IP and blank program for L33 and L36, but the SD card stopped working, and the tech in the shop does not know how to make a new one.

His laptop is also a POS, it takes 5 minutes to turn on lol.

I have cat 6 running from my PC to the shop, so my plan was to put USB on either end of a Cat 6 and dedicate that cable run (I have 4 from my desk to the test bench in the shop).

This way I could recover if the SD card fails again.

If there is no IP, FW 1.002, then you need to use BootP to set IP.

Rockwell should come out with a tool specifically for setting IP addresses.

I use e w o n, and they have eBuddy, which has "eZ DHCP", IP config is irrelevant.

why does the word **** (ewo n) get starred out?

Last edited:
I have sent the website to my shop manager, I hope they buy the BootP device.

I know how to load SD, and I have loaded several for the shop over the years. THey lose the cards, or break them.

I have also shown them how to create their own SD cards.

Thank you for the Link, I will send this in an email, and be done with it.

It is really stressful, and wasteful to have to explain the same thing over and over again to the same people. With the DCHP handheld device, I may get less emails and calls to fix trivial things.