Is there a way to real time data log without RSLinx Classic?

MattMatt9

I just realized only the lite version of rslinx was included when I bought Studio 5000 professional. Rather than buying RSLinx Classic is there another way to data log. I know I could just buy it but im looking for alternatives.

There are open-source software solutions (Free) like Node-Red + CompactLogix drivers for gathering tag data over ethernet and then displaying it somewhere (or logging it, or trending it, etc.) They just require the backend development.

Send me a PM if your interested.

What about archiving as well? Like I guess all I am looking for is a link between PLC and excel (or SQl database, i dont know yet).

I want to archive though. I have been watching videos on using RSLinx Classic to log data in real time in excel. I want to also archive this data. I am asking how this can be done, somehow in excel? SQL Database?

Kepware has the ability to log data directly to an SQL Database I'm not sure if the logging feature is included when you purchase a driver package but it needs no other software, you can create triggers for data logging i.e. tag based, time etc.

Q1: What do you consider real-time ? Is 1 second fast enough ? 100 ms ? 1 ms ?

Q2: What are you going to do with the data?. Do you need to visualize it ? Create reports based on it ? Search it for events ? Compress it ?

Many HMI platforms include good data logging features as well. Probably the best is Ignition, because of its roots as an SQL data logging system.

Even a licensed version of RSLinx will need some kind of software to request data from the controller and put it into the database. Whether that's home-brewed in VB or C or Python, or set up in a data logger or historian, is up to you.

I have an excel application that uses RSlinx OEM to pull data from the PLC.
If you pull too much, too fast, it can crash excel.
There is a little bit of coding that has to be done as well in the excel environment.
I already had OEM, so this was a program that didn't cost the company anything. If you don't have OEM, I would recommend using a different method. Soon as I can figure out Kepware, I will dump this excel and go with Kepware.