Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk View License Questions

ts1

Hello Everyone,

If I buy a Studio 5000 perpetual license, is it only for use with one computer. Let's say I want to work on some PLC today and another co-worker wants to work on it tomorrow, is it possible to share that license? This is assuming two people can't work on it at the same time due to only 1 license. Is it possible to run the program on a company server or VM so it is not locked to one computer.

Same thing for FactoryTalk View. If someone else wants to change a button on the display can they do it on their own computer or if you buy one license it gonna be stuck one computer.

Yes, you can install the activation manager on a server and install the license on the server. Then you and your coworker would point your activation managers to the server. Never done it myself, but that is how I understand it.

Depends on the license, if its node locked or not. Node locked ones are hooked to a PC's hardware. You can use a USB Bluetooth adapter or a USB Network card as the node device and pass that back and forth.

There is also a variant that can be checked out from the server as mentioned above(vaporlock in the brain prevents me from remembering what its called)

--Edit--

Borrowed Activation.... I told ya.. vaporlock.

Last edited:
Another way:
Let's assume you work at a plant and all of your PLC's and HMI's/Scada systems are on the same network.
You could install the Rockwell software on a small server and then who ever needed access could just RDP into the server and take care of business.

Also:
You could setup remote access to the server via the proper security measures, and then remote in from home and save time traveling to the site.