RSlogix 5000/Compactlogix

1knarf

New project, set my processor type and input/output cards. I tried to download and I get "Failed to go online with controller. Communications timed out." my path and project path are set the same, Ok light is flashing red, no major or minor faults are present.

Who Active list contains processor but tries to connect with the same fault.

Who Active on RsLinx has a red X on processor but is seeing my Panelview.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or missing.

A blinking red OK light indicates either it has a fault or needs a firmware update.

EDIT: You say there is no fault present. How are you determining this, since you apparently cannot connect and the status LEDs indicate there is a fault present.

What was the previous status of the processor? If it was brand new you need to load firmware before downloading project.

A red X in Who Active indicates that it currently does not see the device in question, but did at some previous point (or at least saw something at that address). How are you trying to connect? Ethernet? USB?

Last edited:
Trying to connect with Ethernet. going to controller properties and not seeing faults, but I guess I probably wouldn't. the processor is brand new and I did not load any firmware.

Last I knew processors shipped without firmware preloaded. Have you set the IP address using bootp or some other method? Once you have an IP address assigned you should be able to communicate, when you go to download iirc it will offer you the option to update firmware.

Flashing red indicates a Major fault and you cannot download to a controller that has a Major fault. The red "X" in RSLinx is telling you that RSLinx cannot find the device.

If the processor is indeed new out of the box, then you will need to assign an IP address to it and load firmware. Downloading, will prompt you to load the firmware so that can all be done from within Studio in one fell swoop.

I personally would connect via USB and download. This will update the firmware and load your program. Then you can set the IP address and communicate over Ethernet.

OG

Downloading doesn't prompt any loading of firmware, nor do I know how to achieve this. I did use bootp to set IP address but not sure I did it right.

Downloading doesn't prompt any loading of firmware, nor do I know how to achieve this. I did use bootp to set IP address but not sure I did it right.

The way you know you did it right is to ping the PLC IP address from the command prompt. There is no point in looking at RSLinx until you can successfully ping the PLC.

It will prompt you to load firmware when it connects and sees there isn't any loaded. You need to successfully connect before you can get anywhere else.

Given that the processor apparently showed up in Who Active at one point, I suspect when you set the IP address bootp was not successfully disabled thereafter, so it lost the address at the next power cycle.

If you're having trouble getting connected via ethernet, the simplest solution is to just do initial download via USB as OG suggested.

Last edited:
If nothing else, use USB to assign an IP address via RSLinx. as mentioned, use Ping to verify the IP address is set properly. If Ping doesn't work, RSLinx Ethernet connection won't work.

USB is an easy no hassle method.

OG

looks like usb is my next step. Pinging- destination host unreachable.
request timed out. Bootp sent the IP Address to the mac address.

Keep it nice an easy. Set you IP details with the USB. Much quicker and far less of a hassle, then switch to ethernet.