RSLogix 500 install error

mister x

Well this one has me befuddled o_O

I'm trying to install RSLogix Version 11 on a VMware with Windows 7. I've already got FTV ME 9.0 installed, but this 500 package won't go.

The message below is what I get just as the install starts. Any idea about where to see the rest of that info, or what it means? I've tried the security permission fix in the AppData\Local\Temp directory. No luck.

Capture.PNG

I have twice had my downloads end up missing key files required for installation, once with RSLogix 500 version 12, and once with a version of Studio 5000. My partner has also seen this happen. I got past it by downloading the package again.

There might be a faster way to resolve this and my error message may not have been exactly what you're seeing or even the same root cause. But if you did indeed use the RA website to download software, I would double check that you got it all.

I tried installing on a windows 10 platform and there was no issue, but there could be windows 7 install files missing. Seems odd though - that error is common to a bunch of other software, with a hodgepodge of solutions, but I didn't come across missing files...

I tried installing on a windows 10 platform and there was no issue, but there could be windows 7 install files missing. Seems odd though - that error is common to a bunch of other software, with a hodgepodge of solutions, but I didn't come across missing files...

To clarify - did you run this install on the W10 PC, then copy the files from the W10 PC to the W7 PC, and run them again? If so, that could be your problem. I've had the same problem before, it seems that during the installation process, the installation files themselves are modified and won't work a second time. When I install any software, I always copy the install files from the source media to the desktop of the target machine before I start, and then run them from there. If I need to install somewhere else, I copy from the original source media again, onto the desktop of the next target machine, and run again from there. I never actually run an installation using the original source files, only copies. In many cases, I leave the original source files in their compressed form until they're copied onto the desktop of the target machine, so that I know they're intact and just as I downloaded them.

All of this goes to say, if that is indeed what happened, and if that is indeed what's causing your error, then re-downloading the installation file should solve your problem.

Side note: I would also recommend *always* using the managed download option when downloading software from rockwell. I even use it when downloading a single EDS file. I've never once had a problem with software downloaded via a managed download, but my success rate for a direct download is less than 50%. Just in case that's in the picture here too.

I have had that error popup on me before and it itn't anything with the RSLogix (or any other installation program)

It is a problem with the Windows installation, and I had to reinstall Windows.

Thx, I'm thinking it's a Windows 7 problem too. I keep the original install on a separate drive and then copy to laptop, so modified files shouldn't be an issue. I think I'll throw it at Microsoft, maybe they can help with the rest of the error message. Alternatively, Hulk smash.

I give up on this one. Tried to reinstall Version 10 and 11 from disk copies - same problem. Upgraded VM to Windows 10 - same problem. Might look into Java issues if I have time to burn, but as this is clearly a time vampire, I'm losing motivation.

Error 1723.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action CheckFTRegKeyExistence, entry: CheckAndReadFTRegistryKeyValue, library: C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIE02E.tmp

Did you try to run the install as Administrator? Right-click on the Setup.exe file and Run as Administrator.

The error wasn't saying a file wasn't found. It was saying it could not be run. Maybe it couldn't run because of a permission, or maybe it wasn't found. It is definitely vague. I can see this being a time suck.

OG

Yeah, tried to run as admin (it defaults to that anyway). There is a permission aspect to this, but I've double checked that all users have full permissions to the temp directory. I even tried to make a new admin account and that didn't work either.

This install package works anywhere else - there's something wrong with this particular VM that I can't figure out. Working around it for now, but it would be nice to make it work.

I've had it running on 7 and 10 with no issues so far. The problem with trying to uninstall anything made by Rockwell is that it never really uninstalls. You pretty much have to reset the system, which would cause other problems in this particular instance. No biggie, the machine wins a round here and there.

FYI, I found a workaround on this. Installed logix v30 and emulate first. Then the install of 500 was a breeze. I'm thinking it was related to C++ VS 2015 redist, but no real proof. Works though, so good enough.