New to Siemens TIA. PLC>HMI tags?

DairyBoy

Hello all. First day with Siemens TIA (well, any Siemens PLCs). The PLC part has moved along very smoothly but maybe I'm expecting too much from the HMI editor.

I've set up comms for the PLC (1200 series) and the HMI (basic 6") using the default IP addresses (192.168.0.1/2) and they show as connected in the network graphic. I've closed the plc project and opened it as the reference project in the hmi editor, where I can see the plc tags in the "details" view, bottom left.

I put a button on the screen and can see the properties in the lower half of the editor. This is the point at which I expected to be able to import/drag-drop/copy-paste or whatever the plc tags into the hmi part for use on the screens etc. (a bit like RS5000).

The plc's default tag table is showing a population of 49 items in the "details" view on the left hand side but when I click on the "..." button in properties/general/process to select a plc tag for the screen object, the plc's default tag table population in the popup is showing [16] and there's nothing in the main window (name, data type, address) to select.

Can anyone please tell me what I've missed?

Thanks.

Hi,

When you navigate via an objects properties it will limit the tags to those that are valid for that particular function. If you are using a button, try using the EVENTS tab and add a function (e.g. 'Setbit' 'Resetbit' etc) and use the '...' Link to point to your tag table (it should limit it to BOOL type tags if you are using an 'Edit Bit' function...

Hope this helps.

Rob

Thanks for the reply. I've tried various indicators and numeric thingies but the plc tagbase stays stubbornly at an inaccessible [16] items (total plc i/o count, maybe?) I've set up the comms at "both ends" (plc to hmi and hmi to plc) so they know who they're talking to.

Edit: just tried the "set bit" option; same result...

Last edited:
Thanks, JRW. Yes, same as your pic, in both the plc and hmi editors. Re tags, my project structure seems a bit different. Any relevance?

Capture.jpg

I'll go away and resume asking appropriate questions when I have fully grasped that EVERYTHING goes into ONE folder when using TIA. Thanks for bearing with me so far...

Consider going through the "getting started" manual
Also , make sure you have a handle on data blocks
Just my opinion
Once you learn it. You will like it

I was having the same problem.. I am also a beginner with Siemen. I ended up finding that the properties of the HMI tag was writing to a HMI internal tag.

Right click on the HMI tag, Properties, General and make sure the Connection is not set to internal. It has to be set to the name of your network connection. Then use the PLC drop down and chose the PLC tag that you need.