How to create a -10...10V signal from a 24VDC to control prop valve with a joystick

EMILLER233

We have a project that has existing proportional valves and joysticks that they're using. The customer wants to eliminate the controller/driver module and just use a proportional valve with Onboard Electronics.

so my question is how do i create this signal/voltage from just a 24VDC power source?

Their existing joystick setup is a -10...10V signal. I don't know the ohms of the joysticks yet

data sheet for prop valve as attached as well as schematics for their joysticks

Capture10.JPG Capture11.JPG

Last edited:
From Capture10... you have 3x joysticks that are in parallel?

Tell me this is a homework assignment and not a real thing.

If this is real, use a PLC 3x analog inputs and 1x analog output -10/10.

i think i know what you are asking. replace the module with electronics in the plc.
Are you sure you want to reinvent the wheel, by that i mean the controller / driver module?
a lot of time and effort has already went into the development of this module and trying to do this with other electronics may take a lot of time. may i suggest that you look more into this module and what it does before proceeding. it could save you a lot of heart. if i am wrong, please correct me.
james

Last edited:
@EMILLER233

I'm working on a job that has a similar valve, going from your image.

This machine just uses a double pole change over relay, to reverse the plc analog output 0-10v signal going to the valve.

I'm assuming this works, I can't test it currently as there is no valve here.
This machine has been running previously.

Hope this helps,
Dion.

There are many things to consider when you are controlling the proportional hydraulic valve. I will just note the two: you need the output that has enough of power and Dither frequency implemented. I other word if you don't have it the control of a hydraulic valve would be erratic and unpredictable.
Solution is to by buy hydraulic valve driver according to specific valve properties. It costs and quite often it is not on stock.