FactoryTalk View Studio Application Testing

So here I am trying to test my project while in development - just making a few changes to a display, I click on the 'Test Application' icon and it starts to assemble my temporary runtime file. All looks well up until the little splash window that says 'Starting Application', then it jumps directly to 'FactoryTalk View ME Station is shutting down.'

I have made sure that RSLinx is properly configured for my processor in development, and I happen to know that this very project operates correctly on another PC. What am I missing here?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

a) Did you select the initial graphic in System > Startup?

b) Are you using security levels? In the initial grapgic, set the security code to * (star).

I actually haven't changed anything yet. I was poking around at some of the aesthetics of the display and wanted to revisit how it all works together in operation. The initial display is set to a display that doesn't require any login. There is security within the project, but it's runtime only (not windows based).

The intial graphic is set to a security code of 'A', the default login is set to security code 'A' (And I did try changing it to * to rule that out also). There are no remote display connections used in this project. What my project is doing during the Test loading is as the poster you directed me to describes. It does not look as though he was able to reconcile his problem either. This project was loaded from another PC and it still works on that PC, just not on the one I am using. Anybody have any other ideas? I'd really love to use my current PC to edit all of my HMI projects.... I do appreciate everyone's input so far!

Jason

Global_Conns.jpg

The action of the system would seem to indicate a security issue. You mention,

"There is security within the project, but it's runtime only"

When you test your application, that security does get used. Note that when you click the option to test your application you will see a message "Creating runtime file". Even though you are running this on your computer, security is in full effect. When you look at the Runtime Security window are you seeing all of the user accounts properly listed? Instead of user names do you see a mix of alphanumeric characters?

Also, in your diagnostic window at the bottom of the screen it should be displaying messages as the application loads and then closes. Expand that window and post a screenshot.

OG

Last edited:
When you look at the Runtime Security window are you seeing all of the user accounts properly listed? Instead of user names do you see a mix of alphanumeric characters?

Yes I do, not sure why the alphanumeric accounts were created though as this project was already existing when I came to it. Are they possibly created automatically...?

Also, in your diagnostic window at the bottom of the screen it should be displaying messages as the application loads and then closes. Expand that window and post a screenshot.

Posted screenshot of the diagnostics window for the test run. Thank you all for the input so far!

Runtime_Security.jpg Diag_Window.jpg

Last edited:
When the application was restored on this PC there was a choice to restore the application or to restore the application and the FactoryTalk Directory. They apparently chose to restore only the application so none of the user accounts and security settings were created on that computer.

So when you open your Runtime Security it knows that there are user accounts that should be there but since none of the accounts exist on that machine it fills in alphanumeric characters where the names should be. This means your security won't work correctly.

Go back and run the Restore Application again from the Application Manager and select to restore the application and the FactoryTalk Directory. You will have to close down any open applications as it will wipe out your existing FTD and replace it with the FTD from the application.

And, we can see from your Diagnostic window results that you are getting the Access Denied message. So definitely a security issue.

OG

When the application was restored on this PC there was a choice to restore the application or to restore the application and the FactoryTalk Directory. They apparently chose to restore only the application so none of the user accounts and security settings were created on that computer.

So when you open your Runtime Security it knows that there are user accounts that should be there but since none of the accounts exist on that machine it fills in alphanumeric characters where the names should be. This means your security won't work correctly.

Go back and run the Restore Application again from the Application Manager and select to restore the application and the FactoryTalk Directory. You will have to close down any open applications as it will wipe out your existing FTD and replace it with the FTD from the application.

And, we can see from your Diagnostic window results that you are getting the Access Denied message. So definitely a security issue.

OG

OG,

Not sure where I should be seeing an option to restore the FTD, but it is not in my options list for my Application Manager. I am running FactoryTalk View Studio 8.00.00, ME - Has that option been moved to somewhere else, post-restore? I started up the old laptop (where this particular project successfully tests fine) and took a look at the runtime security on that. There are a few alphanumeric accounts in that window also... So I am a bit confused as to why this project will work on one laptop but not the other with the exact same security accounts. When I transferred this project to the old PC from the previous one I don't recall having this issue (though that was some time ago). The old laptop is also running FTVS 8.00.00 if that helps any...

App_Mngr.jpg

Restore application
Select the .APA to restore
Select to Restore application and FT directory.

This option did become the standard (only) method of restoring, but not until version 8.10 I believe.

OG

FT Studio test app access denied

I realise the above issue was some time ago however I too had the exact problem recently. It does seem that the runtime security is the culprit.
I went with the theory that local site security for particular screens can easily be set up as necessary and probably needs reviewing from time to time anyway (old users leave, new users required etc.) so I just deleted all the unknown alphanumeric accounts.
Additionally I also gave full access to the DEFAULT user for testing although it probably wasn’t necessary.
It worked immediately.
If users are required that are not in my personal system users then I like to add them manually. I have found that restoring somebody else’s project WITH the FTD replacement has caused me all sorts of problems in the past.