FactoryTalk VantagePoint with SQL Server

rleon

Hi:

First, my list of software that I actually using in my application.
FTView SE 8.3 Network, FT VantagePoint 7.00, SQL Server 2008 R2 x64, Windows Server 2012 std x64

I am using FT VantagePoint to trend data from SQL Server (databases created and populated with datalog in FTView SE, 1 datalog per database).NOT using Historian (low reliability and I don't like the "cutting point" interpolation that makes to my data).

I also have the license for the db connector. When I try to add more than 2 connectors (I want to use 1 connector per database) shows that I have license only for two connectors. Is like that? A USD 3000 cost license for only 2 damned connectors???? This means that I will have to group all my 100 logging tags in only 2 databases to use 2 connectors?? o_O

Assuming the previous point and using only 2 databases, the other issue is when I trend my data whit the Trend in VantagePoint (after created connector to the database and populated with tags), can't poll historical data. It only shows live data when I add the tags to the trend. If I stop Live Mode and restart, the trend only shows live data, it means that the Trend start drawing the pen from actual time. Obviously with this issue, I can't go back in time to consult previous data. How can I know if the Tag Provider is pointing to the floatTable, where my historical data is?

With native TrendX from FTView SE, I have no issues, but I can't use the features of trace data, stadistics, etc that VantagePoint bring.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Working with Rockwell Software I guess...:D

No pun intended though...They are very expensive indeed...If you look at the Catalog Number of your FTVP license it clearly states 'Licensed per connector instance' (9521-VPEMDBCENE(M) FactoryTalk VantagePoint Database Connector (Licensed per connector instance)- VantagePoint EMI Server Only); and at $3000.00/per you are lucky since it lists at $4770.00; I think the limits are 2 Connectors and 995 Tags/Datapoints (E2, 995).

There are other software packages out there with the same capability which will not break the bank though...Too bad you have already purchased FTVP which's client access licenses are also outrageously expensive.

Inductive Automation Ignition would be my choice; it's an 'all in one' SCADA system with Visualization (HMI), Historian and Relational Database connectivity.

https://inductiveautomation.com/scada-software/

There is a trick to get around this. Make your separate databases. Then make a connector database that links all of your databases using view to each of the tables, views and stored procedures you need. Then connect that one to using the VP Connector.